Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nordic mag extension on Versa Max issue?

Mattog22

I just got a 26" Versa Max and a +6 Nordic magazine extension. When I install and tighten the Nordic extension it is not parallel with the barrel. As you follow the tube down towards the end of the barrel the tube gets closer to the barrel. The space between the tube and the barrel is about half as close as it is at the base of the tube. Is this normal? If I unscrew the tube from the nut about a half turn then there is enough play in the tube that I could get it to align correctly with the barrel using the barrel clamp but I just don't know about the tube not being completely tightened into the magazine nut. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Matt

Edited by Mattog22

This is not normal on most shotguns, but is for the Versamax. It's the one sore spot of the platform and Remington should be embarrased about it. This is also the main source for slug inaccuracy. With an extension, the entire barrel, handguard, extension lock up feels weak and flexible. This encourages most people to want to use a clamp. The clamp bends both the extension and the barrel into the set pattern as it is tightened up, causeing slug hits to be way off. The worse the alignment the worse the problem.

You have 3 options:

1. Leave the clamp off and accept it the way it is. It will be ugly and you risk bending something when you pitch your shotgun into a barrel or onto a table.

2. Work with the tube you have. As you pointed out, if you slightly loosen the tube from the barrel nut, you might get enough play to allow the clamp to be installed without bending the barrel. The more you have to loosen the tube the more mismatched the two cylinders will be and the more risk you will have with feed reliability. You'll just have to try it and see if it works.

3. Get the Carbon Arms one piece magazine tube when they hit the streets next month. This is the ultimate solution to the problem and I recommend option 2 until the new tube comes out.

Edited by co-exprs

Mine isn't as bad as Mattogs. I agree that the tube and threads on the Remington tube are really weak. I'm running the clamp for the time being and hope to get one of the new one piece tubes once they are available.

co-exprs - yours looks awesome!

Thanks guys, I spoke with Nordic today and they pretty much told me the same as option 2 above. At least the mag tube can be replaced on these with the CarbonArms tube or a replacement if I accidentally messed something up getting the dimples out.

So, I loosened the tube a bit and used a barrel clamp. Gun fed nice and smooth all 9 rounds in the mag tube. Now if I can get the gun to shoot the lighter 1 oz loads it's supposed to I will be much happier.

Edited by Mattog22