Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Fast & Accurately

OLD SF MJT

I need a little help. I would like some thoughts of drills (both live fire and dry fire) that will help a person develop the skills necessary to be able to shoot accurately and rapidly, both with pistol and carbine, starting with the basics and building from there. My focus is primarily in the area of IDPA & Tactical 3-gun, as well as the possibility of real-life "social situations."

Also, any suggestions for relevant books, videos, etc. would be appreciated.

I suspect that this subject has been covered repeatedly in this forum, but, as I am new to it, I'm not sure just where to look.

Bill Drills are the classic answer to develop speed and accuracy from the holster with a handgun. Place an IPSC target at seven yards. Begin with the gun holstered. Draw and fire six shots into the target. Master level is all As in 2 seconds or less.

For books, of course Brian's Beyond Fundamentals is a must. My only caveat is that it's rather advanced. For basic technique, I'm partial to Andy Stanford's Surgical Speed Shooting.

For videos, really you can't beat Jerry Barnhart's 10-volume set. Pricy, but worth it. You also have the option of buying the volumes individually, which can spread out the expense.

Hope that helped.

And welcome to the forums! I hope you will learn as much if not more than I have from all the members who contribute w/ both questions and answers (not to mention the great efforts made by the mods to keep it going, and BE for making it the best place to stop on the web. :P