Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leatherman MUT. Anyone have this piece of awesome in their range kit?

Hey all, not sure if this should go here or under the WHAT I LIKE heading but I just got a new Leatherman Mut from my Kick-ass girlfriend for christmas. It's a big and heavy tool, but in messing with it, I think it has damn near every tool I keep in my range bag. It has a bronze carbon scraper and places to attach cleaning rods and brushes. It also has a full set of driver bits, including everything you need to work on gun mounts and stuff on the fly. \

I'll probably actually carry it on the clock for 3 gun matches, since it has a tool to clear an AR double feed instantly. Pretty well thought out thing.

I think my favorite part might be the fact that it's actually a hammer, so you can smack the stuff I always shouldn't smack. Between this and my Boker pry bar (she also got me) I have a really light weight set up that's good for almost everything I can think of on the range. Just thought I'd share with you guys, and see if anyone else has a piece of kit like this in their bag.

I have a MUT and really like it. I won't carry it on me though at a match. The tool you mention is to clear a bolt over ride malfunction, aka over the bolt, aka class 4 yada yada. A bolt over ride is different from a double feed, as you don't need a tool to clear a double feed. Fr that matter you don't need a tool to clear a bolt over ride either depending on your hand size, but that's another thread

Back to the tool, I like not having to carry a bunch of other drivers, Allen wrenches etc. I haven't used the carbon scraper but I have used the bits for tightening stuff, adjusting etc. I kinda wish it has a castle but wrench for those quick emergencies but I've never had a castle nut come loose on me. I'm anal about staking and putting witness marks on everything.

Overall I do think its a great tool and definitely will always have a place in my range bag. Now is it worth it if you already have a leatherman and torx and Allen bits, prob not for me. But between the MUT and other small tools I carry in the cart or bag it works really well for me. Oh the punch is pretty useful too if you have a Glock. That probably is my favorite part of having a Glock "armorers tool kit" built in.

I have a old Leatherman Wave that has been in my range bag for years, but I am thinking of upgrading to the MUT for some heavier wire cutters. The Wave is a bit chewed up from cutting springs, replacable bits would be a great upgrade for me. I think you guys convinced me.

George

I agree I've pinched fingers too. An empty casing can work too in a pinch. I've used those in class before when teaching to show officers what the malfunction is and how to clear it.

George,

You won't regret it, it's a nice tool. Haven't had to hammer anything yet but it sure beats finding a rock. They also make several gun tool Accesories on leather mans webpage too.