Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SSTK minor to train on the cheap for SSTK major?

cyprant

I'm awaiting a new 9mm 1911 from my gun smith and I'll be using this gun to shoot Steel, ESP, and SSTK. I am shopping for magazines for it and am pretty sure Tripp Cobras are the way to go for 10 rounders. I am also thinking of just buying a few extra factory 9 rounders so save some cash for now. My thinking is, 9 rounders could be an advantage in IDPA, and I also Plan on buying a 1911 in .45 when funds allow (a couple of years from now).

Does any one think it would be a good Idea to shoot SSTK minor with 8 rounds in the magazines to train for how I will shoot matches in Major? I'm a C class shooter, but improving greatly at each match, so winning is not at the top of my priority list quite yet.

If you aren't looking at match results then maybe. It really doesn't take too long to get accustomed to 8/9 rounds, starting with 10 isn't going to "mess" you up. If you are looking at trying to save some money by buying less expensive mags, I would caution against it, it always ends up costing more in the long run it seems. I am sure your pistol isn't cheap, give it the best mags you can get!

If you are looking at trying to save some money by buying less expensive mags,I would caution against it, it always ends up costing more in the long run it seems. I am sure your pistol isn't cheap, give it the best mags you can get!

+1.

You have to ask yourself, "self, can I really afford this sport?" Either you can or you can't. If you can, do yourself a favor and make a committment to get the right equipment out of the gate. If you can't move on. There are no satisfying shortcuts IMHO.

Edited by lawboy

I agree with the saying "buy once, cry once".

I can afford to shoot 9mm right now , just not .45.

The extra $50 it would cost to buy 10 rounders wont break me, I was asking if there would be any advantage to 9 rounds in a magazine (or 8 for that matter)

I agree with the saying "buy once, cry once".

I can afford to shoot 9mm right now , just not .45.

The extra $50 it would cost to buy 10 rounders wont break me, I was asking if there would be any advantage to 9 rounds in a magazine (or 8 for that matter)

If you're going to shoot SS minor, by all means get the 10 round mags. That extra round won't be necessary often, but when you hit a 6 and 4 array, stubborn steel, or need makeup shots on distant targets you'll be happy to have the extra round!

BB