Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading for AR308

SVI4ME

I have loaded .308 for a bolt gun and had quite good results. Got rid of the bolt gun and just assembled an AR308. I will be using a Rockchucker to size and deprime. Hand prep case (trim and clear flash hole. Then I will prime, powder, seat bullet with a 650. But I have questions.

Do you crimp for an AR? I didnt for the bolt gun.

You OAL for mags? What AOL?

I am sizing wth a Lee FL sizer but it does not go all the way into a case guage. Makes it down to the web and wont go in any further.

Crappy Die? Need something else? Redding??

I think that is all for now.

Thanks

Rob

Ive been loading for an M1A for a while and I did go to a small base die and saw improvements in reliability. Run rounds as long as your mags will allow. You will want to crimp to prevent projectiles from shifting under recoil in the mag. Not sure what you plan to build rounds for, but you can run a pretty good variety from 110/125 at the low end up to 175 without much trouble. The M118 LR specs seem to work well for longer projectiles. I had luck with some of the faster powders with the lighter bullets to keep pressures up enough to cycle reliably.

Just my 2 cents...

I run all my brass, even the ones I've shot, through a Small Base RCBS sizing die. I find the ammo to be much more reliable, than if I used a regular FL sizer.

I typically load to the spec OAL for the powder/bullet combo called for by the manual and don't worry about it. I've not had issues with the loads being to long for the mag.

My LR-308 gave me issues early on, but I tweaked my sizer and bought a case gauge. Haven't had a problem since.