Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load data help

NinerRider

I only thought I had been reloading these past few months loading 3-4 thousand rounds of 9MM and 38 Super. Boy was I wrong, loading pistol ammo is no comparison to the labor intensive process of case prepping a few thousand cases of .223! So all cases are trimmed 1.750", de-capped, swaged and primer pockets uniformed. I plan on using TAC powder, CCI #400 primers, and Hornady 75gr. HPBT. Ramshot load data has 24.1gr behind 75gr. with a OAL of 2.260 out of a 20" 1:8 twist barrel as max load. I am loading these for a 18" 1:8 barrel. So I guess long way around I am looking for load data that will get me about 2800 FPS. I plan on starting my load ladder at 23.7 working up to 24.1 possibly 24.2. I am a little concerned with the suggested OAL of 2.260", my current factory Hornady 75gr. OAL is 2.255, any worries of feed problems with OAL of 2.260" ? Also looking for input on you load data for TAC and 75gr. Hornady.

Thanks

Edited by NinerRider

2.26 is Max OAL for that round. Dropping it to 2.255 is only .005 and won't make any significant difference on pressure. Most folks load shorter and many books test OALs as short as 2.20. The Ramshot data estimates 2,820 @ 24.1 so dropping 100fps for the 2 inches and you are somewhere north of 2700. The only way to confirm your velocity is with a chrono.

2.26 is Max OAL for that round. Dropping it to 2.255 is only .005 and won't make any significant difference on pressure. Most folks load shorter and many books test OALs as short as 2.20. The Ramshot data estimates 2,820 @ 24.1 so dropping 100fps for the 2 inches and you are somewhere north of 2700. The only way to confirm your velocity is with a chrono.

Thanks, got a chrono just wanted some baseline info before I started my load ladder. My goal is 2750-2800FPS on this load with the best accuracy possible, we typically shoot out to 500 yds at our local 3gun match so I need a load that is as close to the Hornady factory load I currently shot. I have read some have pushed the limit up to 24.5 out of a 18" barrel with no pressure signs but who really knows.