Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Loads TG/W231 Sanity Check please

djthemac

Good Afternoon Everyone!

I just purchased my first STI, a 5" Eagle blued, from Dawson with his CRP package installed. I have been doing massive reloading for .45 ACP, but I plan to use this gun for USPSA/Steel/IDPA. I understand I will have to shave down the mag well to fit in the box. Will I be ok loading out to 1.180 with this gun?

I have a crap ton of W-231 I'd like to use up, but I have heard excellent things about tight group, which I'd consider moving to after I use up the W231. I have 500 SNS casting 180grain TC lead bullets and 1000 bear creek lead moly bullets on the way what do you guys think about the following loads

Bullet: SNS casting 180grain FP

Brass: RWS once fired from LEO brass

Powder: Winchester 231

Powder Charge: 4.3, 4.6, 4.9, 5.2

Crimp: .420?

COAL: 1.180?

Bullet: SNS casting 180 grain FP

Brass: RWS once fired from LEO brass

Powder: Tightgroup

Powder Charge:4.2, 4.5, 4.8

Crimp: .420

COAL: 1.180

Used to use Titegroup in .40 major with lead and moly bullets. Didnt care for the smokescreen the loads would produce. Titegroup is ok with jacketed.

HP38/WW231 worked ok in .40 with lead/moly stuff but it was a little too dirty for my tastes so I moved on.

Used to use Titegroup in .40 major with lead and moly bullets. Didnt care for the smokescreen the loads would produce. Titegroup is ok with jacketed.

HP38/WW231 worked ok in .40 with lead/moly stuff but it was a little too dirty for my tastes so I moved on.

do you remember what charge you used with 231?