Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practice with a Airsoft

springfieldsan

I have heard that is a good cheap alternative, I have always questioned its practicality. Not too familiar with airsoft guns, and may seem like a silly question does it have any recoil like the real deal?

Biz

I like my KJW 1911 a lot. Biz, the slide cycles and you have all the same stimuli as actually firing a shot, just less of everything.

That said, I've been trying to wear out my M&P 22! I can practice like usual in much less time since there's no hunting/gathering of brass and much less need to reface targets than when using larger bullets. Load mags, shoot!

Mark

I have heard that is a good cheap alternative, I have always questioned its practicality. Not too familiar with airsoft guns, and may seem like a silly question does it have any recoil like the real deal?

Biz

Not really any recoil but it does cause the dot to move a bit. With a few adjustments, you can get it to "feel" like your competition gun (i.e trigger pull, weight, C-More).

Just one more way to get a little trigger time.

Bill

Biz

Not really any recoil but it does cause the dot to move a bit. With a few adjustments, you can get it to "feel" like your competition gun (i.e trigger pull, weight, C-More).

Just one more way to get a little trigger time.

Bill

Agreed. You wont get hardly any recoil, but if you buy a quality gas gun, the slide still shoots back, and most lock on the last round. The magazines tend to be expensive and you cant drop them like normal mags, kinda have to baby them. I think they are good for practicing your draw, reloads, etc. As well as practicing sight picture at a close distance...once you get out too far, you get into issues that are very different than real steel: the BB trajectory and the time it takes to get to the target. You can get different weight bb's and "hop up" units to change this a bit though.

Agreed. You wont get hardly any recoil, but if you buy a quality gas gun, the slide still shoots back, and most lock on the last round. The magazines tend to be expensive and you cant drop them like normal mags, kinda have to baby them. I think they are good for practicing your draw, reloads, etc. As well as practicing sight picture at a close distance...once you get out too far, you get into issues that are very different than real steel: the BB trajectory and the time it takes to get to the target. You can get different weight bb's and "hop up" units to change this a bit though.

To compensate for the BB trajectory and the time it takes to get to the target, I just use much smaller than normal targets at close range. For steel, I bought several steel covers for octagon shaped electrical boxes. Cost about 60 cents each and never wear out. I have them mounted on simple PVC stands and space them out to replicate a Steel Challenge stage.

To replicate poppers, I use aluminum beer bottles. (Just one more excuse to drink.)

I also print out two metric targets per sheet of paper. These targets are small enough that placed at 2-3 yards they replicate full size steel and targets out to 10 yards and further.

Thanks to dropping them on reloads, I'm down to one working magazine. Unfortunately my air soft was manufactured by Western Arms and original mags are no longer available.

Bill