Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Readying a DA pistol to begin a stage in Productio

jkushner1

Folks - My first post on this forum, so be gentle... ;)

I was going to make a couple of points about the CZs, since I love my 75B, but it appears I'm not alone here in my appreciation.

To get back to the starter topic, on traditional DA autos, unholster, point down range, engage safety, insert mag, rack slide, exchange mags (assuming you're using Clinton capacity mags), disengage safety, holster. I haven't had a chance to shoot Production yet with my Beretta, but that's the way I shoot it in IDPA matches.

FWIW, I think it's sacreligious to shoot a CZ-75 from a mode other than C&L. :D

We skirt that rule by specifically following the procedure mentioned in the rule book (pull trigger while grasping hammer with weak hand, and lowering hammer slowly.

Is there a risk of an ND when following this procedure? Yes.

Is it really that much greater than the risk of an ND when loading a 1911 with a sub 2 lb trigger (round goes in chamber, safety is still off)? I don't think so.

Would it be cool if CZ devised a system with both a decocker and safety, so you could carry cocked and locked, or lower the hammer with a decock lever? Sure.

I have never had a problem following this procedure with my CZ. I keep the weapon pointed in a safe direction, and accept the risk that I might have an AD, and be DQd...but this is the same risk I incur with any other handgun.

As long as the shooter is under the supervision of the RO, pays attention to what he is doing, and follows general safety rules, he'll be fine.

DogmaDog