Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP 101 - crane assy movement

Flashman

I have a new SP 101 which I just discovered has a problem that the the crane assy moves forward when pressure is applied to the back of the cylinder forward. It moves away from the frame about 1/4 to 3/8's of an inch. It can be popped back by pushing the crane pivot back into the frame. Very odd. I discovered this when I first used a new Safariland speedloader. Obviously the cylinder won't closed unless the crane pivot is popped back into the frame. I plan to call Ruger about this but has anyone heard of this before. Other than my query in another forum (no answers), a Google search found only one identical match with no answers. I haven't disassembled this thing but could it have not been assembled properly? It shoots and handles fine otherwise.

I checked an older sp101 for the play that you described. That one had a small amount of forward movement.....less than 1/8 of an inch, but it would spring back when pressure was released. I want to say that the crane pivot has a spring loaded plunger on the end. Could that be missing or the spring broken?

Thanks for the replies. The photos are excellent. I called Ruger yesterday and they asked that I not disassemble the gun and emailed a shipping label. They stand behind their products but I am perplexed about the problem. Your responses help me understand it better however.

Again, thanks.