Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Increasing Magazine Capacity?

RNA

Hi all, I just have some quick questions about magazine compatibility among Tanfoglios.

1. Am I correct to assume that the Witness, Stock, Match, Limited, etc. of the same caliber all use the same magazines -- either the small frame or large frame magazine?

2. Is there any setup or way to increase the magazine capacity of a small frame 9mm magazine while retaining the stock look or base pad? I know that Henning has an increased capacity 9mm small frame magazine, but I'd hate to let that low hanging magazine pad destroy the look of the gun.

Thanks in advance! Sounds crazy, but 17 rounds is too few for me, especially considering CZ-75s come with those sweet 19 round Mec-Gar mags.

Those 19 round mags will fit in your gun. But guess what? They are longer than your 17 round mags (they are a 17 round mag with a +2 extension).

To get more capacity you need more room.

I have a used small frame mag extension if you change your mind....

Edited by Nealio

Those 19 round mags will fit in your gun. But guess what? They are longer than your 17 round mags (they are a 17 round mag with a +2 extension).

To get more capacity you need more room.

I have a used small frame mag extension if you change your mind....

Thanks for the reply! So the Mec-Gar magazines for the CZ 75 work with the Tanfoglio small frames? Do you happen to have a picture of a 19rd mag (preferably the Mec-Gar) in a Tanfog?

Hi all, I just have some quick questions about magazine compatibility among Tanfoglios.

1. Am I correct to assume that the Witness, Stock, Match, Limited, etc. of the same caliber all use the same magazines -- either the small frame or large frame magazine?

2. Is there any setup or way to increase the magazine capacity of a small frame 9mm magazine while retaining the stock look or base pad? I know that Henning has an increased capacity 9mm small frame magazine, but I'd hate to let that low hanging magazine pad destroy the look of the gun.

Thanks in advance! Sounds crazy, but 17 rounds is too few for me, especially considering CZ-75s come with those sweet 19 round Mec-Gar mags.

For a small frame mag you can do two things. Firstly, trim the legs of the factory follower so that they are just slighlty longer than the little stub that sits underneath the follower which sits in the middle of the mag spring. Secondly play around with the spring length and trim half a coil off and test then another half and test etc.

The second part you have to be very careful on as you don't want to cut too much off and the tension isn't enough to feed the rounds.

I have been doing this for years on my small frame mags and generally just trimming the follower will give you two extra rounds or one and nearly two!! Good Luck.

Also forgot to mention option 3 which is buy Hennings small mag Grams followers and springs and play around with the spring length.

Edited by vous

• 3 weeks later...

So what's the highest capacity you can reliably modify a .40 magazine for a small frame? Hennings magazine pads look like they are just what the doctor ordered, but does anyone have pics of how far they stick out from the mag well? I'd like to retain as stock a look as possible but have more than the 12+1 capacity from the factory mags.

So what's the highest capacity you can reliably modify a .40 magazine for a small frame? Hennings magazine pads look like they are just what the doctor ordered, but does anyone have pics of how far they stick out from the mag well? I'd like to retain as stock a look as possible but have more than the 12+1 capacity from the factory mags.

The best I have been able to get in a small frame 40S&W mag is 16rnds.

Have a look at my earlier post http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=68426&st=25 hopefully that may help.

Interesting read. Seems like modding the mags to increase capacity is a very touch and go project. I hope I even possess the finesse for such a job. How is the reliability? And as I'm reading it, that's 16 rounds in a small frame mag with an extended base pad? What has the max been with the stock basepad?

I don't know if i'm not looking hard enough, but I haven't actually seen pictures of a Match or a Stock with anything but the stock base pad. Anyone have any pics?

Interesting read. Seems like modding the mags to increase capacity is a very touch and go project. I hope I even possess the finesse for such a job. How is the reliability? And as I'm reading it, that's 16 rounds in a small frame mag with an extended base pad? What has the max been with the stock basepad?

I don't know if i'm not looking hard enough, but I haven't actually seen pictures of a Match or a Stock with anything but the stock base pad. Anyone have any pics?

Believe it or not working on the 9mm small frame mags is trickier than the 40S&W due to the 9mm tapered case. However with a little time and effort most things can be achieved. Cannot recall what the round count for .40 in a small frame was with the stock basepad, I cannot even recall if we tried that as my friend was using his pistol as a raceguin with a comp etc so was only concerned with more rounds!!! My guess would be +1 or +2 on top of the normal mag capacity. The best option would be to get one of Hennings small frame Grams spring & follower and give it a go to see what the capapcity is.

I terms of reliability, there were no issues that I can recall. As I said previosu, the straight wall .40 helped alot in that regard.