Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel wear

Jasonub

Ok 2 quick questions on barrel wear.

I emailed schuemman but their email doesnt work and would like to ask experts here on barrel wear.

I know this is a small concern since it will be thousands of rounds before wear will be noticed on a pistol barrel but geeky people keep on bothering me that i get these answers with some explanation

:blink:

here is the email:

Hi Mike,

I know we should not worry about this since it will be thousands of rounds before wearing out a barrel but my geeky friends are debating on the below questions and i was tasked to do the emailing since i always recommend your barrels.

2 quick questions.

Buddies are asking with the same power factor, Velocity x weight of bullet ex 175 PF

which wears the barrel faster

a. 225 grain head traveling at 770 fps = 173 pf

b. 180 grain head traveling at 960 = 173 pf

Both have the same powder but different charge to get to major power factor.

also another question what wears a barrel faster?

faster burning powder like n310 or slower burning n330 again with the same power factor and same bullet weight and oal?

ex n310 load to make major on the same head weight is about 3.2 grains

n340 needs about 5.0 grains

Thank you

Jason

Any help to satisfy our curiosity will be much appreciated.

Thank you

Edited by Jasonub

This has been one of the eternal Ford/Chevy, blonde/brunette arguments among the rifle crowds. Good luck getting a definitive answer!

Since pistol barrels last many times longer than rifle tubes, I'd choose components based on other factors and let the geeks quibble in perpetuity over "theoretical" issues. YMMV of course, but I learned that I'm a far better driver than I am as a mechanic, so I focus on skills rather than gear issues.

Mark

Edited by redial

I'd choose components based on other factors and let the geeks quibble in perpetuity over "theoretical" issues.

Definitely agree. My first pistol barrel wore out at 50k rounds and that was very short considering I've got friends with 125k rounds through some of their barrels. I'd definitely focus on the accuracy and feel of a load rather than barrel longevity. Compared to the cost of the components to put even 50k rounds through the barrel the replacement cost of the barrel is just not that significant.

lol :roflol: this is my answer to my geek friends. they wonder why my barrel has 100k through it and still have the accuracy it had when new.

i just shoot coated bullets and my barrel never shot any jacketed or has been cleaned by any steel, brass brush, just hoppes 9 and dry swab like the manufacturer suggests.

but they cant leave it alone and keep on bugging me