Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What fps can I expect?

DWG007

Since I do not have access to a chronograph, I was hoping someone could give me an estimate of what fps I can expect from the following load when shot from a Kimber 1911 with a 5inch barrel:

Powder: VV N 320 6.0gr

Bullet: 185gr JHP .45ACP

Primer: CCI

OAL: 1.22in

Mixed brass

I want to be sure I make major.

Thanks.

There's no way you can be sure you make major without using a chronograph.

You can find "estimates" in reloading manuals, but those all apply to some other barrel and gun than the one you're using, and ammo can perform differently enough in different guns for a load that makes major in one gun to fall short in another. A linear interpolation of velocity between a starting load and the published max load will be a decent prediction of how much powder you'll need to make major, but still won't assure it.

Recommended fixes:

1) Ask around at your local club matches. Somebody there has a chronograph, and will let you use it.

2) Buy a chronograph. If you don't also have a shooting timer, the Pact MkIV is both, and a good value at $200 (though cheaper chronys are available).

DogmaDog

Guest Larry Cazes
Thanks - guess I'll have to bite the bullet and buy a chrono. I don't want to go through the work of loading up a bunch of ammo and not make Major.

YUP...I wouldnt reload without a chronograph. Pressure signs are not always obvious and you have no other means but velocity to know what kind of pressure your running.

One thing you can also do is download some Vihta Vuori reloading data from their website (http://vihtavuori-lapua.com/)

They say they got 988 fps from a 6.1gr charge, and 913fps from 5.6gr charge of N320...out of a 6" test barrel.

You need 892 to make 165PF if your bullets really are 185 gr (weigh them and see).

Anyway, you'll still need to chrony to be sure, but from those numbers I'd guess 6.0 will probably make it by a good margin.

DogmaDog