Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight alignment

cpa5oh

Experienced shooters - when you point your gun at a target (whether from a draw, reload, transition, or from the high ready,) how often are your sights aligned perfectly BEFORE you do any 'clean up' or adjustment?

I see the better shooters at the matches I go to look like the instant their gun is pointed at a target a shot goes off (on the typical length targets we see in matches out here, which is anywhere from 5-12 yards)...and I have to imagine that the reason they can do this is that their technique is setting them up to where they're just confirming their sight picture before letting the shot go (as opposed to having to make an adjustment to get the sights in alignment, confirming, then letting the shot go.)

With me, if I go on a run and I'm constantly having to clean up my sight picture, I lose confidence, get sort of out of timing, and it's not going to be a good run. I don't know if I've just got to learn how to adjust my sight picture (with my wrists) or if I've got to work on getting the technique closer to perfect to where the sights are in alignment nearly all of the time...makes a difference on what I focus on in my practice.

I see the better shooters at the matches I go to look like the instant their gun is pointed at a target a shot goes off (on the typical length targets we see in matches out here, which is anywhere from 5-12 yards)...and I have to imagine that the reason they can do this is that their technique is setting them up to where they're just confirming their sight picture before letting the shot go (as opposed to having to make an adjustment to get the sights in alignment, confirming, then letting the shot go.)

You're absolutely on the right track. You want to train yourself to the point that wherever you look, you find the sights superimposed (and perfectly aligned).

Lots of good info here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5230

Good luck and keep at it!

Thank you for the reply and the link. This tells me that I need to pay more attention to perfect technique right now as opposed to chasing a par timer in dry fire drills. I guess the optimal thing to do would be to chase the timer a little bit while keeping perfect technique - I'll do that but when I feel my technique get out of whack (and when the sights aren't lined up at presentation 9/10 times) I'll dial it back and get back to working my technique to where the sights line up without manipulation after presentation.

Thank you for the reply and the link. This tells me that I need to pay more attention to perfect technique right now as opposed to chasing a par timer in dry fire drills. I guess the optimal thing to do would be to chase the timer a little bit while keeping perfect technique - I'll do that but when I feel my technique get out of whack (and when the sights aren't lined up at presentation 9/10 times) I'll dial it back and get back to working my technique to where the sights line up without manipulation after presentation.

You're very welcome.

I think you've got the right idea. The proper technique will help you achieve consistency and eliminate wasted motion (i.e. speed). Every now and then you should push yourself to see if you can execute the proper technique more quickly, but working on "speed" by itself is an illusion. We're looking for the highest points in the least amount of time. If you can't get the points the speed means nothing.

Good luck and keep at it!

Start the trigger as the sights come onto the target. Refine the alignment until the shot breaks, and be seeing when it does.

Don't wait on the trigger until you see perfect alignment, or stop aiming when you do.

"This tells me that I need to pay more attention to perfect technique right now as opposed to chasing a par timer in dry fire drills."

I'm not sure which drills you're using, but mine all require an "acceptable" sight picture.

It takes a while for shooters to learn what that means.

Don't ever "slow down" as its own solution, instead "see more."

Don't ever "slow down" as its own solution, instead "see more."

This is great . I have finally started to learn how to do this. Slowing down doesn't mean better hits.

For me, my sights are generally aligned on target, but usually require some refinement depending on what is available and required.

When I'm shooting I see myself aligning the sights less and less, but still have to refine my sight picture. Externally viewed (video) I am getting faster at this but internally feel like I'm doing the same thing as before, only less of it. My initial sight picture is closer to acceptable, and my adjustments are getting faster. Maybe I'm just manipulating the trigger throughout the alignment process like stated above.

Either way, I'm enjoying it.