Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 minor with Win 231

Retread1911

I am shooting IPSC major with 5.3 grains of WIN 231 over a 184 grain lead bullet. I am setting the gun up for a steel match in a month and would like to set up some minor loads.

I read some great feedback on clays and will try those loads as they may be better than 231. That being said I have a lot of 231 and would like to know if anyone has any experience with 231 and the 180 combo personally.

I do have a set of recoil springs to lighten up the recoil in the process to get the gun running 100%.

I was in the same boat. I used 4.5 w231 with 180 JHP Montana Gold, I don't remember chrono or OAL off the top, I can look if you need me too. It shot nice, was plenty accurate. Start at 231 starting load and check a chrono. I find with 40 go a bit over the 125-130 PF floor. Personally, I like 145-150, still plenty soft, but takes down steel and gun feels better in recoil.

I was in the same boat. I used 4.5 w231 with 180 JHP Montana Gold, I don't remember chrono or OAL off the top, I can look if you need me too. It shot nice, was plenty accurate. Start at 231 starting load and check a chrono. I find with 40 go a bit over the 125-130 PF floor. Personally, I like 145-150, still plenty soft, but takes down steel and gun feels better in recoil.

What kind of velocity were you getting at 4.5. I am going to start there and chrono for 135 and the best feel with a few different springs. I do have a case of MG 180's that I think I will try as Iowa in July is humid and if it gets still the smoke from the lube could bother me in the later strings.