Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers that do not go off.....

kaiserb

I spent about 2 hours yesterday bullet pulling 75 misfires from WLP primers... grrrrrrr.  I was trying to use up WLP primers for practice with my 625 that just had an action job.  The ammo I checked had great pin hits to the primer.  I even checked to see the primers were seated before firing some, and they were.  I guess the firing pin was a little short on umpfh.  Just to add insult to injury the 50 test rounds for a new load with Federal primers worked flawlessly.    

tooledup.gif

I have 2 S&W686, both were used at the NRA World Shoot ( Stock Gun ) in 1999, and now see service as fun guns. They both have had no modifications except trigger/action jobs. Niether will work on anything other than Federal 100 or 100GM.

Strangely, I once used some Winchester Factory loaded 148Lead HBWC match loads. All worked perfectly double action. I bet they are loaded with Winchester primers, so why  the difference???????????

[Rumor Mill Mode ON]

The story I heard about the blue box Winchester primers (the brass ones without the plating), is that they were intended for a military contract.  The reason for the absence of plating was to allow the wall thickness of the sheet stock to be increased - a deliberate act to make them *harder* to detonate.  This was to prevent "slam fires" in certain firearms with floating firing pins that ding the primer lightly on chambering.  

[Rumor Mill Mode OFF]

E