Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is my commander spring too light?

JANIJ00

I am running a 16# Wolf Variable rate recoil spring, 23# main and a square firing pin stop. I am shooting a 200 gr SWC over 4.9 grains of WST. I have read numerous threads here about going to a lighter recoil spring to reduce muzzle bounce when the slide slams forward. I am also using a Wilson Shock Buff and have noticed that there is a definite indentation left on the Shock Buff after a couple hundred rounds. I was going to remove the Shock Buff but after seeing the indentation I decided to switch back to a 18# recoil spring.

What do you other Commander shooters use when shooting IDPA? I'm afraid if I go lighter than 18# without the s hock buff I will start to batter the dust cover. Ideas for a smooth shooting Commander?

I also like the 200gn lead bullets with 4.3 of Clays. I would also recommend removing the shock buff once they spread they can contact the slide causing problems plus timing issues with the short slide.

I would drop the mainspring to a 17lb and shoot the gun with a 16lb and 18lb spring to see which felt the best to you. Check groups and splits with a shooting friend.