Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's .308 like with new USPSA major?

Just brainstorming... I'm thinking of buying either a Mini-14 or an M1A as a fly-away gun. As a Kaliban resident my AR's are literally priceless --- can't buy an AR anymore in Kaliban. But if a Mini-14/M1A gets lost or f'ed up during transport, no biggee, I can get another one. :D Anyways...

Looking through the past posts in the M1A vs. Mini-14 debates the things against the M1A were:

- recoil

- only the 20 rounds magazines tend to be good

After shooting the 3G Nationals, I don't think having only 20 rounders is that big of a handicap. It would be nice to have 30 rounds. But I don't think it's that big a deal.

But for recoil? Common wisdom says that .308 is no good for 3G due to the amount of recoil. But that was in the good ole days of the 340 power factor.

What's .308 like with a 320 power factor? With a Tactical legal compensator?

Religious Shooter,

I have a Scout/squad rifle with a brake that springfield made while developing the brake for the new SOCOM.

I load mine with Winchester 147 grain bulk bullets from MIDWAY, and use an Aimpoint 3 minuted dot on the forward mount . off the bench this gun gives me sub 3 inch groups at 100 yds which with the 3 minute dot is as good as can be asked for.

I make major pf, about 330 and it is real soft and manageable(for me) but I am also .308 biased too.

If possible try out the new SOCOM it has a 3rd generation brake that when put on a real M14 and shot in full auto actually drives the muzzle down.

Good Luck, if you get the scout squad rifle or just the scout you will need to trim just a little off the front of the brake to make it limited leagle, now problem to do though.

Sam Keen