Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

wow... 40 minor load makes me happy in the pants!

steviesterno

hey all,

so I was a dedicated SS shooter until most of the matches around here went Multi-gun, non-SS, with just 140mm mag restrictions. I switched to a 6" 2011 and run Major 40 with 200 gn PD and 4.0 gn titegroup out to 1.18 when I need to shoot major. I was thinking about casting my own lead, but it's too much work and I'm lazy, so I found a local guy who makes AMAZING stuff.

I worked up a few loads after reading about Clays in 40 minor (since it was silly soft in my 9mm stuff) and ended up with a few loads from 2.5-3.0 gn under some 170 and 180 gn lead rounds. The best load of the day, both in accuracy and feel was 2.5gn clays behind the 170 swcs. It punched a ragged hole at 10 yards, didn't smoke much, and was too soft to even believe! It has to be minor (i hope) because I didn't even change out the recoil spring.

Anyway, it was so soft shooting and felt so great that I'm thinking about selling my 9mm 1911 and just running this 40 downloaded for fun stuff and major for USPSA. Thought I'd share, and for those of you looking for a steel, plinker, 3 gun 40 load, give this a try!

Hmm, I didn't think it would be sub-minor because it's enough to cycle the slide with a heavy spring. It also is coming out of a 6" barrel, not a shorter glock barrel or anything like that. I upped to 2.6 since I needed to make enough rounds for the next few weeks, so I hope it turns out to knock over steel when I break it out this weekend!

2.6 gr clays with 185 moly bullet out of my G35 (5 in) has a PF of 134.

2.4 gr had 128 PF.

2.5 gr clays with 180 lead out of my G22 (4.25 in) had a PF of 131.

I think your 2.6 will work good for you...but I'd think about replacing the recoil spring with 12 or 13 pounder.

yeah my buddy ended up at the range with a chrono, so I got to figure it out. It's actually pushing 136 pf! I couldn't believe it, actually, but I'll take it!

The real problem is I chrono'd my Major load (4.0gn TG under a 200gn round nose) and found it averaged only 163 pf...

yeah my buddy ended up at the range with a chrono, so I got to figure it out. It's actually pushing 136 pf! I couldn't believe it, actually, but I'll take it!

The real problem is I chrono'd my Major load (4.0gn TG under a 200gn round nose) and found it averaged only 163 pf...

That sounds about right, unless you are loading short.

I'm really surprised you're making that power factor with a 170 grain bullet. Must be really fast bullets, or, batch of Clays.