Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester 30-30

SmokeyB

I generally use Hornady dies, but practically any good quality die set should suffice. I sold off my lever-actions a few years back, and haven't loaded a round of 30-30 since, but there were no surprises involved. I do prefer using a Lyman M dies for expanding the case necks, but that isn't cast in stone, especially since you're probably using Dillons powder measure. Do make certain that your cast bullets are at least .002 over actual measured bore diameter, or leading will result. My typical rifle case reloading procedure was to size the cases on a single stage press, tumble clean, trim, and clean/process the primer pockets if desired. Then I'd use a universal decapping die at station #1 to make sure there's no tumbling media in the flash hole. Then the usual powder drop at station #2, seat the bullet at station #3, and finally crimp at station #4.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to load a lot of 30-30 and I found the cases really susceptible to dents in the shoulder from excess lube and buckling during crimping/bullet seating. The solution I used was to wipe the shoulder with my fingers to remove any excess lube prior to sizing and seat and crimp in two separate steps rather than one. That was with a tube fed magazine so wanted a secure crimp.