Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New load problem?

Destry34

Destry34, be careful with too much powder level checking and stopping your normal reloading process. More than likely, that was the cause of your squib round.

You are exactly right, I know this is what happened now the more i think about it

I will look at different powders an possibly some jacketed bullets. I am weighing the powder drop every 20 to 30 or so.

Are you seeing any/much variation? I really doubt there's much point in checking the powder drop that frequently. Unless there's something wrong with your powder bar, it really shouldn't vary much once you've pulled the handle a few times.

My Glock 17 and I like Universal Clays for 9mm, but have only used it and WST. Universal works well with 124gr bullets (FMJ, CMJ, JHP) from Precision Delta and Montana Gold. The only plated bullet I've tried is X-Treme 147gr, which is said to have comparatively thick plating. It's softer shooting, but I've had some mixed results with them (tumbling from my 34), and don't know if I'll order more.

Ok I made 10 rds loaded with 3.2gr of tire group, 10 rds loaded with 3.6gr of wsf, and 10 rds loaded with 3.5gr of solo, they all felt similar in recoil and the wsf bullets shot the best group, still unacceptable, but better. I am going to buy some 147 jacketed bullets and just sell the rest of my plated bullets. What 147 gr jacketed bullets are y'all using? Thanks

Those loads all sound like they're at or maybe even in some cases below minimum. Before giving up on the plated bullets, you might try more powder and shorter COAL.

I will try that I have a chrono on the way, i have been doing some reading, and the specified grains I put in the loads were from people on other forums saying that was making a power factor about 130. But I will definately be playing around with different charges once my chrono gets here. Thanks

Are you set on 147gr? If so, why?

Try a leading 124gr, from either Precision Delta (what I use), Montana Gold, or Zero. If you have any Win 231, I can give you a load.

I'm not against shooting 124's, I just thought 147 was the softest shooting, I am open to try them. I guess it wouldn't hurt to buy 100 or so to see for myself

You have to try them and see. I've tried 115, 124, and 147's. I didn't like the snap of the 115's, and IMHO, the 147's were just as bad. Felt slow and felt like too much recoil, so I stuck with the 124's. Try them side by side.