Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Australsian Champs Bali 2004

Hi folks,

If you don't live in IPSC's Australasian Zone, but you're still interested in attending the Level IV Championship in November/December 2004, there are officially 60 of the 600 slots available for those who live outside The Zone. Having said that, I'm sure we'll be able to squeeze in a few more punters, because not all qualifying Regions will use their full slot allocation.

You can apply to shoot the Level IV Handgun match (24 stages, 3 days) and/or the Level III Shotgun match (another 16 stages, 2 days) which follows. Of course you can elect to shoot one or the other, then kick-back and enjoy beautiful Bali for the other days. You name the water-sport, and it's offered in Bali, and there's lots of nightlife, ranging from a Hard Rock Cafe, to various other forms of entertainment and tourist attractions.

Please visit the official IPSC Indonesia match website for more information but, to answer questions which I anticipate will be asked but which are not covered at the website:

1) No, this is not a Tournament (due to different match levels), so there are no "overall" awards if you happen to win both matches.

2) No, you cannot carry a gun with you for self-defence. After shooting at the range (and/or cleaning and/or dry fire practice in your room), all guns must be returned to the official armoury, which is just another room in the official match hotel, the Hotel Sanur Beach, but which is guarded 24/7 by some of the nicest & friendliest Police officers in the world (who love to talk guns). You get a claim tag from them, just like you do when you surrender luggage to the Bell Captain.

3) Yes, we know about the bombing in Bali in 2002, which wasn't the only act of terrorism in recent years, and none of which would've been prevented even if you and all your buddies had carry-guns with you. If you have concerns for your safety, that's your businees and we'll certainly respect your decision not to go, without giving a reason here or elsewhere. However I'm personally confident enough about security to take my family with me.

4) Yes, shotguns and 12 gauge ammo will be available for use/purchase at the range, if you don't want to cart them with you (airlines are likely to be OK with the handgun ammo, but will probably baulk at shotgun ammo on top of that).

5) If you want to attend, your application must be endorsed by your Regional Director. For USPSA members, this means President Mike Voigt (president@uspsa.org).

6) Stage diagrams will be probably be posted within the next 30 days.

7) The airport name is Denpasar and, when you arrive, there will be a special "VIP Express" counter for all participants. They'll guide you to the lounge, where you can have a coffee (and/or a smoke) while they process your passports.

I think that covers most things but, if not, ask !