Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Glock ? - ported & comped together

Njanear

As I toy around with building an Open Glock (just because..... :rolleyes: ), I was wondering if anyone had ever taken a factory G22C and after putting a longer threaded barrel and comp on it, actually had the barrel ports cut into the new barrel to match the production slide cuts. Would that be worthwhile in making the gun shoot flatter?

Two questions:

1. Why a G22C? You're better off going with 9mm if you want to shoot open. The comp will work better and you'll have more mag capacity.

2. Why port the barrel? A Glock has a shorter barrel to begin with compared to a standard 5" open gun. It's more like you're shooting a "shorty" 2011 like an STI Matchmaster when it comes to barrel length. Add barrel ports, and you'll have a harder time making power factor.

Just a humble opinion from someone who used to shoot a G22 open and now shoots a 5" STI 2011.

Two questions:

1. Why a G22C? You're better off going with 9mm if you want to shoot open. The comp will work better and you'll have more mag capacity.

2. Why port the barrel? A Glock has a shorter barrel to begin with compared to a standard 5" open gun. It's more like you're shooting a "shorty" 2011 like an STI Matchmaster when it comes to barrel length. Add barrel ports, and you'll have a harder time making power factor.

Just a humble opinion from someone who used to shoot a G22 open and now shoots a 5" STI 2011.

Thanks for the feedback, Parallax3D. I mention the G22C as I have one among my stable of Glocks; it is just an odd duck that I thought might have some fun with. I could always get a converson barrel and make it a 9mm if I wanted to, I guess (but I have a G19, a G17 and a G34 to fill those shoes ;).

Good point on the power factor. My thoughts were to have something unique - I figured the porting along with a regular comp (vs. one of the 'major' comps) would make an interesting combo. But now that I think about it, reloading that .40 to take advantage of the combination could be costly (and possibly 'explosive' :blink: ).

I will never be a serious contender, so the 2011 is nowhere on my radar - nor is a fullblown Glock Open gun (like a SJC or such). I am just trying to have a little fun with what I have on hand. To think of just the cost of the above (plus an optic and mount), I think I had better wander back into the Limited pool instead. :blush: Thanks again.

TaLk with Bobby (carver) about what your planning, he might have some guidance. He's very knowledgeable and helpful. I gave him a call when I was thinking about going the glock way.

Njanear, I'm not saying you COULDN'T do a Glock 22 Open gun. Obviously I did it, and it worked for me for a while. I actually STARTED running Open with my G22 with a Jager kit on it in Open last year, and I managed to make "B" in 7 months. After that though, I was convinced that to be competitive I'd need to run a 2011 in 9mm Major. I DEFINITELY wouldn't try to do the ported barrel and a comp together. Like I said, you'll be bleeding off gas, which will make meeting power factor harder. Glock 22's are notorious enough for going kaboom. No need to have to increase your load to make PF and risk it even more. I actually had a case blow out on me during the 2011 Illinois Sectional. Blew the mag out of the gun and my hand stung like a MF.

Just my $0.02

Edited by Parallax3D

I don't think I would put the full slots like the stock barrel in it as they bleed off a LOT of gas, some small popple holes in that location would probably be better but I don't think you will gain much. I have been paying with the idea of making my 22C into a 357sig open gun I think it would work the comp better than the 40 and light bullets are easy to get.

as for needing a better gun to be competitive a friend of mine made master with a G35 with a C-More STS and no comp so as long as it is reliable, I guess its the Indian not the Arrow.

Build what you want and have fun shooting it.

Mike