Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RO class Bullsh*t

3quartertime

I just took the Level 1 RO class from J. Worden.  Fantastic class for the most part.  Jay is a great guy!!!   His knowledge of RO'ing is exceptional and he obviously has taught the class for years.  

My beef comes from the range training session.  I was completely appaulled by the farce that occured.  I am the first to admit that I'm a newbie at this sport.  I've RO'ed at the local matches when needed but have more commonly scored.  I do own my own range and generally RO unless someone competant wants to do it.  

I've been shooting for 30 years.  Just in the last one or so have I really understood the principles of proper safety.  IPSC had changed the way I approach firearm safety.   I still have infractions even on my range,  but others are quick to point them out ( One particular 'range nazi' forum member, hint hint).  I may not like being reminded but I ALWAYS appreciate being stopped and set right.  ( thank you to that particular forum member!!!)

At the end of the RO class is the practical test.  You get to 'run' a student and everyone gets to shoot the RO El Prez.  I had a problem.  I've always used the command ' slide forward, hammer down'  This was a pet peeve with Jay.  I messed up the first time and had to re-test.  Unfortunetly as the 'field test'  progressed the crowd started to engage in a game.  The rules were -find a way to get the new RO to mess up-.   There were attempted AD's within a few feet of the shooters box,  young shooters that were allowed to 'play' during live ammo runs, more procedurals than I've ever seen ( all blatently intentional)  and general chaois during the test.  My group finished as quickly as we could and left.

In Jay's defense most of the 'idiot actors' belonged to the sponsering club.  Jay is a professional and I am not.  I agree that the situation was probably under his control and as a newer member I didn't see all that he did.

I will state one thing.  This was a class to train and inform possible 'NEW' RO's.  The crap that happened for example;  VERY obstinate shooters,   several shooters commiting flagrant STUPID procedurals and smiling when you tried to STOP the session and an over all sense that the shooter was out-to-get-you with some asinine very possibly unsafe antic made the entire experience distastful.  The attempts to 'initiate' and 'weedout' new RO's were so unsafe and foolish that I would have and should have demanded that the IDIOTS be removed from the range.  Being a range owner myself I guarentee that I would have let such idiots know they were never welcome again!!!  Unfortunetly, and because I respect many of the shooters present I left at the earliest possiblity.  The situation may have changed.

Ok,  when I rant I always like to think of a solution to the problem.   My advise would be to have a range test in two parts.  Jay did tell the class that there would be certain 'obstacles' that he would include in the test.  And he did say that if some of the shooters wanted to add in some procedurals he didn't mind.  Because this was an entry level RO course maybe it would be better to let the students practice running someone normally.  No distractions.  Then one more run through with the INSTRUCTOR planning some distractions.  That way the range is orderly and the students learn.  

If you are an experience RO you may read this and say,  "there are no 'regular' runs,  if you aren't ready for anything you shouldn't be RO'ing "  fine,  but if a person makes the effort to learn to be an RO should they be pressured into being leary of even trying.  Do the jackass's that 'played' at that class love RO'ing so much they want to do it always? ( and a few of them didn't do the commands correctly!!!)   My oppion is,  great!!!  If you love RO'ing so much do it!!!  I guess I wasted my time trying to learn. I would rather shoot anyway!!!

I enjoyed the class over all and will volunteer to RO at the local clubs if they want.  I do remember one thing Jay said,  "we are  here to make the shooting experience enjoyable and safe".  Because of what I hope will be my worst RO experience I hope I will be ready if something happens.  My feelings now are that if something even marginal starts to happen I'm going to scream at the top of my lungs 'STOP' and make the situation safe.  I hope a new shooter understands that this is the way I was 'initiated'.