Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dry firing with a laser

JeremyV

Hi i am fairly new to pistol shooting and was wondering if any of you guys use a laser on your gun to help learn what you are doing wrong when dryfiring? I put one on my pistol the other day and it revealed a lot to me I could see exactly how much I was shaking and I got to try different ways of gripping the gun to get it more stable and also got to try different ways of pulling the trigger to get the least ammount of movement out of the gun. I am still aiming with the sights then switch my focus to the laser dot and try to keep it on a very small object. at close range its hard to see much but at 25 yards a lot of stuff started showing up. I was pushing the gun around with my thumb and also pulling it a little to the left when I fired it. (I am left handed)

What do you guys think is this a good way to work on trigger control and finding a stable shooting platform?

Any and all advice is welcome.

Jeremy

Search and ye shall find...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=112500&st=0&p=1308182&hl=laser&fromsearch=1entry1308182

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=123372&st=0&p=1400184&hl=laser&fromsearch=1entry1400184

The goal (eventually) is to be able to see all the stuff the laser is telling you by looking at your sights. All the same information is there, you just need to figure out how to interpret it. You might want to search for some threads on "shot calling" or "calling the shot" as well. It's worth the time to figure it out - it'll take your shooting to a whole new level.

Good luck and keep at it!

Edited by mudman

I totally understand what you are saying about shot calling. I do it with my AR Rifle all the time but its really easy to do with a scope or red dot.

Having a harder time with the pistol and open sights but I am sure with time I will get it down. Right now the trouble is my index is not all that good and I am not keeping the sight alignment with my eye so not only do I have sight movement on The target but also movement between my eye and the sights. Lots of work to be done. Just got my pistol 2 Weeks ago so cant expect too much yet.

Shot about 500RDs through my ruger 22LR target pistol and saw some major improvement on calling my shots! I think that before I was shaking too much to really be able to call them but now I am getting my index down a little better and keeping my upper body as more of a unit! Thanks for the tips!

Did some dryfire drills with my XDM and could tell for sure when I was pulling or pushing the gun around when the shot broke so guess I am getting rid of the laser

Jeremy