Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need advice for N320 loads for a XD Service 9mm

DickP3

Hello

I'm a newby reloading for an XD Service 9mm. Using the XD, MG 124gr JHP bullets and the procedure described by mcracco and others on this board, I determined that the maximum OAL for this combination is 1.110". Since a gap of 0.020 - 0.030" is needed, the maximum OAL for the XD and the MG 124 JHP is 1.080 - 1.090".

The OAL suggested in the Lyman manual for a 125 gr Sierra JHP is 1.075". So, I worked up some loads with titegroup and am presently at 4.0 gr at 1.078" OAL. It seems to shoot ok. No chronograph data yet (chronograph on order; should be here next week).

Since there is a lot of praise for N320 for 9mm, I want to try it too and see which powder and load work best in my XD. My problem is that all of the loads I can find on this board and on the Lapua website for JHP's is for OAL's longer than the XD will accept; e.g., at Lapua for their 124 gr Megashock JHP, the load range for N320 is 3.5-4.2 gr at 1.130" OAL. The loads that I found posted on the Springfield subforum all are for the XDm and they use OAL's much longer than 1.085"

Soooo, how much lower in powder do I need to go as a starting load to avoid overpressure at an OAL of around 1.085"? (I want to stay with the MG 124 JHP, at least for now).

Thanks for your help

Dick

I guess another way of phrasing my question is:

Given that Lyman's manual says to use 4.0 - 4.6 gr of N340 with a 125 gr JHP at 1.075" OAL, can this information be used to calculate an appropriate load using N320?

Dick

You don't need to be .020"-.030" off the lands. If they hit the rifling @ 1.110" you can load them @ 1.100" no problem. I have an XD 9 Tactical and the only bullets that hit at that short of length in mine are the Hornady 125 HAP and the Sierra 115 or 125 JHC. I load PD 125 JHP, Zero #162 JHP, Zero #161 JHP, and Zero #136-C (all 125gr) @ 1.125". I have used a lot of VN320 and my best load for it is 3.9 Grs. with the above bullets for 1050FPS (PF 131). If you have to load @ 1.100" start with 3.7 or 3.8 grs. and you should be way safe, then chrono and adjust accordingly. :cheers:

Don

Hrm that's kind of odd. I have an XD9 as well and my reloads (PD 124gr RN @ 1.140) work just fine. I'd start ~3.5gr and work up in increments of .2gr. If you have a chrono, that would work best to test the rounds. If you don't, then just load them as long as you can and start with the lowest rounds first.

Thanks for the input Don. I'm glad to hear that others have encountered bullets that hit the lands at a short length. Most importantly, now that I know that I only need to leave 0.010" clearance, I have more flexibility.

Given Don's and polizei1's experience with PD bullets I wonder if the MG's are a little fatter at the nose. I just ordered a sample of the PD 124 JHP's.

Thanks again guys for your help

Dick