Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody ever load any 125 Grain IMI Frangible .40 rounds?

nathandewalt

I was looking around the internet for some good priced bullets for practice with the .40. I ran across wideners who has these IMI 125 gr .40 bullets. Anybody ever load and shoot any of these. The only thing I was really unsure about was if I could safely get enough recoil out of them to make good practice rounds for defensive purposes. I have loaded some in the past just to play around with but they were loaded fairly light with some titegroup.

Thanks

Nathan

a-69817

I don't know about loading the bullets you ask about, but I was in The Gun Store on Hwy 8 north of Lexington yesterday, and he had a good supply of .40 grain lead bullets. From memory, I think he was asking $29.99 per 500. Not too bad of a drive for you.

I've loaded these with various propellants, although I've only chronoed them with VihtaVuori N340 and N350 so far. They shoot well. I got 7,000 and will probably get another 10,000 before they get sold out. At $0.07 per bullet delivered, it's a great bargain and a more than adequate round.

I have been loading them according to the Hodgdon recipie for Sinterfire bullets. Universal powder(see Hodgdon site for specifics), FSP primer, O.A.L. 1.120". My G35 averages 1190 fps, G22 averages 1170fps. I have not had any reliability issues, and accuracy is good. I really like them for shooting steel, and they are clean when shooting paper indoors.

I hope this helps.

Rick

I bought 1K of those and tried them with an OAL of 1.20" and had bullets crumbling/breaking even with very little crimp. I planned on trying them at 1.12" but have not done it yet. I think the key is keeping the OAL short and not using any crimp.

• 1 month later...

Loaded up some of these and shot groups off the bench at 20 yds. Best for me out my G35 was my standard 180 major load of 4.4 gr Titegroup. Ran about 1.5 inches. Next best was 5.0 Universal at about 2". Also tried 4.8 gr 231 and 4.8 gr Titegroup, got 3.5" and 2.75" groups respectively. The first load was good for elevation, but was about 1" right of poa, the second load was about 1" low, but good for windage. All loads were 1.126 oal with Winchester SP primers. Very little recoil. I didn't chrono any yet.