Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee case trimmer on .223, too short?

DoubleA

I've been using the lee case trimmer on my .223 brass and it cuts noticeably short. I don't have my calipers with me as I am working on the road and process brass while I'm in the hotel room, so I couldn't tell you the exact length. When I measured them months ago, I believe they were around 1.65. I know everyone is trimming to 1.75 it seems, but is it bad to trim this short. I have shot around 800-1000 rnds like this without any noticeable problems, but have I just been dodging a bullet without knowing it?

It is not that bad except you are shortening the amount of case neck that provides the tension on the bullet if you are not crimping. If you are crimping on the cannelure then you may get some battering of the bullet nose in the magazine. My recommendation would be to get a new center shaft as the end wears over time depending on the pressure applied to the collet.

I am loading my 55 grn rounds to 2.245 and giving them a light crimp with the Lee FCD. Even if the bullet has a cannelure it usually misses the rim. I also load my long range 69 grn SMK'S to 2.260 with a very light crimp. Like I said I haven't had a problem yet, but I do wonder if it has any effect on accuracy.

• 2 weeks later...