Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SW Model 64 - Two piece barrel?

8ring

Hello:

I'm thinking of getting a used Model 64 (fixed sights, 4" barrel in .38 spl) from Guns America. Some of the offerings are the 64-8 with a two piece barrel and others are earlier versions with a one piece barrel. I may use it for IDPA or just to use up the hundreds and hundreds of primed .38spl cases I now have.

Has anyone shot this model with a two piece barrel? Is there any accuracy difference from the one piece barrels? Is there anything special to be aware of regarding the Model 64 other than it's a stainless steel K-frame?

What weight bullet usually shoots to point of aim with the fixed sights on the Model 64? I'm partial to 158gr lead round nose in .38 spl.

Thanks for any information based on your experiences.

Chris

The 64-8 is a nice piece. On average, the 2 part barrels have the same accuracy as the 1 part barrels. There are variations among all of them.

The point of impact versus the point of aim has several variables. The bottom line is where is the barrel pointing from recoil at the time the bullet leaves the muzzle? Some of the main things that affect this are: bullet weight, bullet velocity, how the shooter holds the gun, grip strength of the shooter, where the sights are set at the beginning of the cycle, etc.

As an example, notice how tall the front sight is on a cowboy style single action revolver.

With the sight properly lined up to the target, the barrel is pointing below the target. When the gun fires, it rolls up in the hand of the shooter quite a bit due to the shape of the grip frame. For the bullet to hit the point of aim, the bullet must exit the muzzle at exactly the time where the rising muzzle is pointed at the target. This is an extreme example to illustrate the point. More modern grip designs don't allow the gun to move in the hand as much.