Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

20 round P30 mag

RAZZ

I figured some of you guys might be interested in this. I plan on doing some 3-gun this year, and I knew I'd be at a disadvantage with 15 round mags. So, I sent off a couple of mags to Higher Capacity to get a 140mm mag built up, and this is what I got back. It's not the 23 round that some other guys are getting out of their G34s or STI 9mms, but it's certainly better than stock.

Using a Beretta 92 basepad locking plate, and cutting down the stock follower a little bit, I get 20 rounds--so 20+1. It's pretty tight at 20, so I don't think I'd reload to it in the middle of a stage unless I downloaded it to 19. I'm going to try out a few different springs, but it appears that a factory spring might just work OK. It won't have the service life that you would get out an un-modified mag, but the big-stick mag will only get used on stages where it would be needed, and I can always get more springs.

140mmb.jpg

140mmc.jpg

140mma.jpg

Edited by RAZZ

• 2 weeks later...

It's also possible to modify an Arredondo 140mm base pad for M&P to work with a P30 magazine. With the Arredondo extension and a Brownells extra power magazine spring for the M&P I'm getting 20 rounds and it is still easy to reload to.

It's also possible to modify an Arredondo 140mm base pad for M&P to work with a P30 magazine. With the Arredondo extension and a Brownells extra power magazine spring for the M&P I'm getting 20 rounds and it is still easy to reload to.

I saw that post. Had I not already had my mags sent off, I might have tried it. Is it 140mm?

I don't have a mag gauge, but using calipers, it appears to be between 141.2 and 141.3. I'm going to check with local MDs to see if anyone has a mag gauge, but even if it doesn't fit right now, it's close enough that sanding the bottom of the base pad should make it fit.