Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any issues drilling tapping into aluminum shotgun receiver?

MickB

I'm looking at drilling and tapping two threads into an aluminium Versa Max receiver to mount a sight and was curious as to how the receiver would hold up. Any dangers in doing this with the sight mounting holes egging out from taking a pounding?

Mick

I'm looking at drilling and tapping two threads into an aluminium Versa Max receiver to mount a sight and was curious as to how the receiver would hold up. Any dangers in doing this with the sight mounting holes egging out from taking a pounding?

Mick

As a new Versa Max owner, I'm curious why you would need to do that. It comes drilled and tapped in four places along the top of the receiver. At least my 26" synthetic model has that. Are you needing holes in other positions than those already provided?

BTW, I have NO expertise in this matter. But, I do know my Versa Max has those mounting holes all ready to go straight from the factory. So say my eyes and my owner's manual. I'm eager to learn about your situation.

-- Mike

Edited by michael1778

TThe existing holes in the receiver are great for mounting a piece of picatinny rail, but not for a ghost ring rear sight, which needs extra holes....

Mick

Mick

As a new Versa Max owner, I'm curious why you would need to do that. It comes drilled and tapped in four places along the top of the receiver. At least my 26" synthetic model has that. Are you needing holes in other positions than those already provided?

BTW, I have NO expertise in this matter. But, I do know my Versa Max has those mounting holes all ready to go straight from the factory. So say my eyes and my owner's manual. I'm eager to learn about your situation.

-- Mike