Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SLP help

biga9999

During Saturday's match, 2 times on my slp I had feeding problems.

Got it home and loaded it up with dummy shells. With nothing in the chamber, 8 in the tube, bolt forward, I pull the bolt handle back and release, and about half the time, the bolt goes forward without pulling a shell out of the tube.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

Mods - lifter welded and lightened/slot cut, loading port enlarged/smoothed and extended bolt release, all work done by C-Rums. (just in case some one asks what has been done to the gun till this point)

Thanks.

Alden

I had some similar issues and replaced the magazine latch springs and the carrier dog spring and that fixed the issue for me. While you are at it, its probably a good idea to replace the magazine spring too.

Dummy rounds--as well as hand cycled rounds, especially those with soft brass--get deformed when they are chambered again and again and when they hit the magazine latch. There is a little indentation that gets made on the back of the brass, as well as the brass getting a "lip" on the edges, which then hangs up on the carrier latch. The carrier latch springs need to be strong enough to overcome that, but if the brass is really indented alot, they may not be able to. I always use new uncycled brass when I shoot matches.

If the shells get shot out of the mag tube, but the bolt gets stuck back, or they only make it part way out of the tube, then your mag spring is worn out.

Got it home and loaded it up with dummy shells. With nothing in the chamber, 8 in the tube, bolt forward, I pull the bolt handle back and release, and about half the time, the bolt goes forward without pulling a shell out of the tube.

Mods - lifter welded and lightened/slot cut, loading port enlarged/smoothed and extended bolt release, all work done by C-Rums. (just in case some one asks what has been done to the gun till this point)

Thanks.

Alden

I had some similar issues and replaced the magazine latch springs and the carrier dog spring and that fixed the issue for me. While you are at it, its probably a good idea to replace the magazine spring too.

Dummy rounds--as well as hand cycled rounds, especially those with soft brass--get deformed when they are chambered again and again and when they hit the magazine latch. There is a little indentation that gets made on the back of the brass, as well as the brass getting a "lip" on the edges, which then hangs up on the carrier latch. The carrier latch springs need to be strong enough to overcome that, but if the brass is really indented alot, they may not be able to. I always use new uncycled brass when I shoot matches.

If the shells get shot out of the mag tube, but the bolt gets stuck back, or they only make it part way out of the tube, then your mag spring is worn out.

Thanks.

Alden

If you don't mind my asking where did you order these springs? I am having a similar issue and would like to order some even if they turn out just to be back up

You can order them from Brownells here: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=0/sid=353/schematicsdetail/Super-X-Model-2

The Winchester SX2 is the same gun as the SLP for the vast majority of these parts---including the ones mentioned above.

The parts you are looking for are #s 21, 17, and 10. For the mag spring, I think the nordic is better than the factory one.

To get to the mag latch springs, be aware that you need to remove a little cotter pin from the inside of the receiver that holds in the mag latch assembly pin that you can see on the edge of your loading port. You won't be able to get that pin out without removing the cotter pin first. The best way to do it is to use a bent paper clip on the inside of the receiver. There is a thread on this somewhere else on enos.