Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625 PC shoots high

shooterdoc

Just purchased a 625 PC. Groups decent but all shots are 6" high of point of aim (@ 20 yards) even with rear sight all the way down. I tried factory ball ammo, a jacketed reload and a lead reload; all shoot high. I have 2 other 625s ("non-PC") that shoot to point of aim. I am using the same grips, same ammo and same moon clips on all guns.

Potential causes?

Solutions?

Thanks.

shooterdoc,

I had the same problem. I had a 5" barrel with a .126 rear blade and a .250 gold bead front. My rear sight was also buried. Still shot high.

I corrected the problem on my gun (625-3 w/5" barrel) by installing a taller .300" front sight from SDM and keeping the .126" rear blade. The sight has the red light gathering insert. I used this sight because I had a spare front sight that was the correct height. If not, I would prefer to use a .300" gold bead from S&W if possible or from an after market source.

If you order one of these after market sights, you may need to drill a hole for the pin. Unless you have a front dovetail, that is a different story.

Measure the height of the rear blade also. If you are using a .160" tall rear sight try using a shorter one. Maybe a .146" or a .126". S&W or Brownells has these rear blades available.

Hope this helps

RPM8shot

I agree with Carmoney. I had a model 29C and a model 629C that both shot high with 240gr lead projectiles. I changed to 200gr and maintained the PF by increasing the velocity. This had the effect of lowering the point of impact because the bullet exits the barrel sooner and the muzzle doesn't rise as far before that exit is acheived.

Thanks for the suggestions r.e. my 625. I went with RPM8SHOT's suggestion. Perfect fix! I am now ready to stomp Carmoney's butt at our next IPSC shoot!

You da man, RPM.

Round Gun, thanks for the link to Weigand's front sight. That would have been my next choice.

George D and Carmoney, bullet change is a good idea but I want to use the same bullet in my revolver and 1911; 230 gr works best for me.

Thanks again.

Based on what I see on the online club stats, Doc, you are the wheelman to beat around these parts when it comes to the IPSC game these days.

I'll admit I'm still feeling a little rusty from my 9-year "retirement."

Then again, there's nothing quite like a good challenge to shake out the rust and cobwebs from the old brain and trigger finger! ;)