Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI GP6 Switch to Fiber Optic Sight

Hey guys, so I'm just starting to get into some IPSC competitions and was looking at a few small things I could do to my base model GP6. One of the simpler changes I'm looking at is the fiber optic front sight. There seems to be a few different options when I look online, more specifically Dawson Precision. I was curious, is there one specific front sight that would be more recommended than others? Also, if I'm switching out the front sight, is it absolutely imperative that I do the same to my rear sight or will the one that came stock suffice?

• 3 weeks later...

I am not too happy with my frong sight fiber optic. Not really the quality of the product, nor the installation. It simply set me off and is not as accurate as with the stock sight.

Even with the exposed fiber, it does not get enough illumination. It is less than good for night matches, for instance the Tuesday Night Steel at Rio, or wherever they have night matches.

I know, I should have reinstalled the old one and ebayed the fiber optic, by now, but when I popped it out, it flew off and has been hiding somewhere... in my previous apartment :)

Personally, I would recommend remaining bone stock as far as sights or upgrading to what the GP6C shipped with. I digged the GP6C sights, I would rather like myself to buy the equivalent from either STI or Dawson. I did not have the extra $150 for what I thought was just better sights and mag release.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome!!! Thanks for the advice!

I will actually go back on that and advise to get the sights BUT to get the rear sight as well at the same time you get the front.

The front is taller. If you keep the OEM rear sight, you will shoot low. The rear fiber sights from Dawson are set to be coupled with the tall front sight.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the fiber optic front and Dynamic rear from Freedom Ventures up here.

I believe you can order them direct from Grand Power along with the 120 and 127mm barrels, etc.

Just presented as an option. Frankly I think it would be better to stimulate demand within the US to keep guys like Dawson interested.

what i mean is what kind f front sight, rear sight did yuo install n your gp6? how does it shoot with the new sights? where did you buy your sights? :D

I bought from Dawson.

They are very cold and not very consumer friendly, no confirmation emails and when I asked if it shipped, their answer was short. But it got here in time, so I will keep shopping with them, they are the only ones who carry GP6 accessories in the US, are Dawson and shootersconnectionstore.com (slightly cheaper):

Here is what I ordered from Dawson:

Extended Mag Release for STI GP6 519-1552

STI GP6 Fiber Optic Inserted Fixed Rear Sight with Wide Notch, Match with .180 Tall Front 018-041

DP STI GP6 Fiber Optic Inserted Front Sight .180 Tall x .125 Wide, Match with DP Fixed Rear 019-065

Blade-Tech STI GP6 Holster with Sting Ray Belt Loop, Right Hand

It now seems that the GP6 will fit the same holsters as the M&P 9 an 40 (same frame and slide on both M&P it seems), so you can save some money with that.

with your new sights, are you sighting on a point of aim point of impact equation?

So this is the part that I need explaining... I am very interested to know.

hi, what i mean is that, when you shoot your gp6, do bullets impacted where your front is pointed? a dead center sight configuration?

with your new sights, are you sighting on a point of aim point of impact equation?

So this is the part that I need explaining... I am very interested to know.

hi, what i mean is that, when you shoot your gp6, do bullets impacted where your front is pointed? a dead center sight configuration?

Yes, why? I actually was lucky enough to get the right windage adjustment right off the bat. Otherwise it is not very accurate.

At 60ft I have a drop, of course. This is handled by raising the aim or, as some said, gnawin off of the front sight, but this beats the purpose of aligning dots.

I always aim for the middle of the top half when I shoot at plates, anyway. So many people shoot low...

• 7 months later...

Blade-Tech STI GP6 Holster with Sting Ray Belt Loop, Right Hand

It now seems that the GP6 will fit the same holsters as the M&P 9 an 40 (same frame and slide on both M&P it seems), so you can save some money with that.

Two questions on that:

1. My GP6C doesn't seem to fit in the M&P Pro 9 holster at all. Not sure how could it, given that the GP6's trigger guard is quite a bit wider. Have you tried yourself or did you hear somewhere that GP6 fits M&P holster?

2. Do you think that the Blade-tech you've got will fit the GP6C (taller sights)? Will it fit 5" GP6C?

Thanks!

Dawson mentions that the M&P holster will fit the GP6 only with an attachment:

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000746-1166518893

I just ordered the one they advertise as being the straight fit for the GP6 and am 100% satisfied with it:

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000A53-1248808990

As for the GP6C fitting with your Eliason rear sight, I am pretty sure it will because there is enough clearance for the tall rear sight.

I am pretty sure it will NOT fit the 5" barrel, as it protrudes. You would have to drill a hole at the bottom of the holster. Not sure which rules you play under, but I have a feeling that a raw barrel protruding by 1/2 an inch would be an issue in IPSC/USPSA production as well as IDPA.

Thank you for your prompt reply. I've noticed that DP page with the M&P + GP6 holster too. I can assure you however that my one month old M&P Pro blade-tech holster can in no way fit the GP6C I just got. It doesn't even seem to be an issue with the taller front sight, the whole slide looks beefier (and btw, my bad about trigger guard width -- it's about the same on M&P and GP6; I was confused by the different fitment of the trigger lock on these guns).

I might try my luck with the GP6-specific #557053 holster from DP, but I just called Blade-Tech and after about 15 minutes of being on hold I was told that their GP6 holster will not fit the GP6C.

Thank you for your prompt reply. I've noticed that DP page with the M&P + GP6 holster too. I can assure you however that my one month old M&P Pro blade-tech holster can in no way fit the GP6C I just got. It doesn't even seem to be an issue with the taller front sight, the whole slide looks beefier (and btw, my bad about trigger guard width -- it's about the same on M&P and GP6; I was confused by the different fitment of the trigger lock on these guns).

I might try my luck with the GP6-specific #557053 holster from DP, but I just called Blade-Tech and after about 15 minutes of being on hold I was told that their GP6 holster will not fit the GP6C.

Bladetech make a specific holster just for the GP6/K100. In a pinch, the Uncle Mikes kydex holster for the Glock 20/21 will; work.