Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Same Apex hard sear, different results?

BillR1

I currently have 2 M&Ps, both 5" Pro models, one .40 and one 9mm.

I ordered the DCAEK for one and the Comp AEK for the other just to have a good selection of parts and springs. I have ONLY the USB parts installed in both right now, and the triggers feel pretty much the same. They're both nice and crisp with a smooth takeup and almost no overtravel due to the stop on the trigger guard.

If I put the Apex hard sear in the 9mm, I get a lighter pull but still somewhat crisp. Putting the same sear in the .40 results in a mushy, nearly non-defined "wall" that's somewhat similar to shooting a DA revolver. Putting the factory sear back in gets the trigger back to a crisp break. :blink:

I haven't changed out any springs other than the plunger spring when I installed the USB. The hard sear SAYS it's for both .40 and 9mm, but it sure acts differently between the two guns. What did I do wrong, or what could be the reason for the different triggers?

Thanks! :cheers:

Check the back side of both sears. I have seen different profiles on their sears. Make sure they look the same.

Tolerances. That could be why one trigger is better than the other. Have you check trigger pull weights on both? I would be your .40 is lighter than the 9. If the sear/striker release with light pressure, and you still have the stock trigger spring, that is one reason that there is no defined "wall" before it breaks. The pretravel weight is nearly that of the overall pull weight. Just an idea, no for certain if that is the case for yours though.

Check the back side of both sears. I have seen different profiles on their sears. Make sure they look the same.

Tolerances. That could be why one trigger is better than the other. Have you check trigger pull weights on both? I would be your .40 is lighter than the 9. If the sear/striker release with light pressure, and you still have the stock trigger spring, that is one reason that there is no defined "wall" before it breaks. The pretravel weight is nearly that of the overall pull weight. Just an idea, no for certain if that is the case for yours though.

It's not the same type of sear between the two guns. It's the same physical sear. It acts differently if it's put into the 9mm than if it's in the .40 gun. That's what's strange...

Check the loop on the trigger bar, the one that cams the sear. Perhaps they are different in both guns. It's a pressed item so they vary a little. You could take the 9mm one and put it into the 40 along with the sear and see it then feels the same when it's in the 9mm.

If there is still a difference, then take the striker from the 9mm and put it into the 40.