Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A Bullet Trap

Reshoot

Been some discussion on bullet traps here, and steel plate to stop rounds. So, to avoid hijacking another thread, I'll share my experience here.

Many years ago I purchased one of those little 22 rimfire bullet traps, which I pretty much shot up over time. Having been a metal fabricator and welder (retired now), I did a little reverse engineering. I wanted to build a bullet trap that would catch handgun rounds up to 45ACP.

The trap I built is constructed of 14 gauge hot rolled steel, with a 3/8" hot rolled steel plate in the back. It is 24 1/2" tall, 18" wide and 16" deep at the base. The opening is 16" X 16". It is shown, in the pics, setting on a stand making the overall height 45".

I never did try it with 45 rounds but, in outdoor tests in easily passed with 9mm. 40 caliber spatter hit the 14 gauge side walls pretty hard though. It would have been easy to bolt in strips of 1/4" plate to protect the side walls. Speaking of bolting in, the 3/8" plate is bolted in, to make replacement possible.

I used to shoot 22 rimfire in the basement, when the wife was gone. But, lead dust became a real concern. And, you talk about loud . . . wow! You can see in the images what I am talking about . . . about lead dust. Even when I sealed the cardboard cover with duct tape, dust exited through the bullet holes. I once thought about connecting a shop vac but there would still be lead dust, I suppose.

A trap of any size could be built, of course, with the only critical dimension being the angle of the back. The real issue is weight. I can barely pick mine up out of the stand. Don't know if I still have drawings laying around or not but, I could furnish enough information for you to build one.

post-23750-0-47602100-1329149382_thumb.j

post-23750-0-29609000-1329149396_thumb.j

post-23750-0-44561600-1329149409_thumb.j

post-23750-0-53805400-1329149429_thumb.j

Edited by Reshoot

I forgot to mention my biggest regret. The baffle in the bottom is welded in, like the little 22 rimfre I copied. Mades it hard to do a clean out, with most of the spatter behind that baffle. I should have bolted it in!

I like it, I just do not care for the thought of turning so much lead into dust. I would use a trap like this outside. I have actually been thinking about making one like this myself. You did a very nice job, very nicely finished. You can tell this is not your first rodeo. :cheers:

wg

I like it, I just do not care for the thought of turning so much lead into dust. I would use a trap like this outside. I have actually been thinking about making one like this myself. You did a very nice job, very nicely finished. You can tell this is not your first rodeo. :cheers:

wg

Why thank you, but credit for the nice finish must go to RUST-OLEUM and their hammered finish spray bombs ;)