Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which forcing cone angle?

kevinj308

I decided to change the 4" barrel on my 625 for a 5". Now that I'm getting ready to order the tooling from Brownells looks like there's some choices to make. 11 degree or 18 degree forcing cone? Does it matter? If it matters I shoot lead, Bayou Bullets coated these days.

Thanks for any thoughts

Kevin

I use the 11 degree one. I like the idea of a lower angle on the taper. It is just personal preference though. There is no "magic angle" for the forcing cone or muzzle crown. Any one that is exactly concentric and smooth will work fine. On the forcing cone there is an optimal range of diameter for the opening, but otherwise not real critical. The 18 degree one will work just as well as the 11 degree, assuming both are done right.

Get the 11 degree. I had a 629 that shot JHP very well but cast lead not too accurate. I used a kit from Brownells and changed and also smoothed up the forcing cone. It made a very big difference with the size of the groups. Rugers always seem to like cast boolits and some of those I think are 5 degree.

Edited by z40acp

Get the 11 degree. I had a 629 that shot JHP very well but cast lead not too accurate. I used a kit from Brownells and changed and also smoothed up the forcing cone. It made a very big difference with the size of the groups. Rugers always seem to like cast boolits and some of those I think are 5 degree.

Good to know. Thanks :cheers: