Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spartan 9mm stock spring weights

msg73

I'm picking up a new 9mm Spartan 5" tomorrow and ordered some springs to fine tune it (after broken-in). I emailed STI and they told me the stock spring weights for a 9mm Spartan was 10lbs recoil and 15lbs hammer/mainspring. I questioned this and he confirmed the numbers. I thought the Spartan came with 12lb recoil and 19 main?

From researching, the most common setup was 9lb recoil and 17lb main (which is what I was going to try first). For you 5" 9mm Spartan owners, what were your stock spring weights? I'll probably build a recoil spring tester.

The stock main spring was 20+ #'s. i dropped in a 17lb spring and it was noticeably easier to rack the slide/manually cock the hammer. I am running an 11# recoil spring. all smiles here and ive had no ignition problems either.

I just got my Spartan today. I wiped it down and went to the range...it shot great. 150 rounds of Fed Champion 115g without a hiccup. I wasn't going to change the springs until it broke in a bit but I noticed that the brass was only ejecting a foot or two away from me, so I went ahead and changed both the main and recoil springs. I compared the stock springs to a 9lb recoil and 17lb main (both Wolff springs) and the stock springs were definitely heavier. Also, the Woff recoil spring came with a firing pin spring. Should I change that too? Is it heavier or lighter than stock?