Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Modifying Steve's R&R for IDPA

NTD

I ordered Steve Anderson's Refinement and Repetition a couple weeks ago and have been doing the drills in there 4 times a week for 45 minutes to an hour each time. What a great book, I really feel like it's allowed me to have some focus and direction in my training. Because I am shooting IDPA right now I do practice the drills with a cover garment. I also put up a couple barriers in my garage and have modified one of the advancing while shooting drills to include moving forward to cover. Has anyone else come up with some ideas to modify the program to fit IDPA needs? If so would you mind sharing them here? Thanks.

Nate

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have my copy in front of me; does R&R have barricade drills in it? If not, I'd add the various permutations of 2,2,2 from left, reload, 2,2,2 from right, etc. Basically, dry fire stage 3 of the IDPA classifier at both it's normal distance of 20y and probably also at 7 and 10. Shooting from cover is a fundamental IDPA skill that's not tested nearly as often in USPSA.

I don't have my copy in front of me; does R&R have barricade drills in it? If not, I'd add the various permutations of 2,2,2 from left, reload, 2,2,2 from right, etc. Basically, dry fire stage 3 of the IDPA classifier at both it's normal distance of 20y and probably also at 7 and 10. Shooting from cover is a fundamental IDPA skill that's not tested nearly as often in USPSA.

Just finished the last drill, and unless I missed it, while there are lots of great movement drills, nothing IDPA-specific like barricades / cover.

I think your suggestion is an excellent one -- there are several plate-oriented drills which are perhaps less directly-applicable to IDPA than the drills you suggested, so perhaps replacing one or more of those plate-based drills with cover-based drills would be a good answer to the OP.

Thanks for the input guys. I've added a barricade to my dry fire course and am doing most of the drills behind cover. It definitely makes the par time goals about useless, but I'm starting with my own base times and just keeping track of those. ;)

It definitely makes the par time goals about useless, but I'm starting with my own base times and just keeping track of those. ;)

I've added a barricade as well in place of 1 of the plate drills, but the genius of Steve's par time concept is that it's always personalized to you. It doesn't matter what crazy stage you set up, or how different it is from Steve's entry in his book -- you get an idea of your par time, warm up to it, push it a little, and record what happened so you can adjust if necessary and continue forward.