Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grips - Home made texture

CZinSC

So I've been using the 3M Shur-Tape from Lowes on my CZ SP01 with success for a while, however, with my sweaty hands, the tape doesn't stay on long before I have to redo it. I started looking for a more permanent solution. So after consulting the Benoverse, i found a few ideas and basically borrowed from them all.

Found a used pair of plastic CZ75 grips on the CZ Forum - $20

Mixed up some J-B Kwik Weld from Lowes - $6

Poured on Silicon Carbide from www.rockshed.com - $3.25 plus shipping

End result = What I think are some pretty darn good grips! The grit is aggressive enough to not slip, but not enough to chew my hands up. How long with they last? Well, that is the question! I haven't had a chance to shoot with them yet, but I'm pretty excited and optimistic about how they feel with the little dry fire I have done.

Also, for the rules Guru's out there, I'm shooting production, and want to continue to shoot Production, so after reading rule 21.4, I believe I am still Production legal. "For semi-automatic Production guns, grip tape, grip sleeves, checkering, stippling or other texture may only be applied in the areas shown in appendix E4. Glue and grit is considered the same as stippling." Further note, according to E4, I am well within the dotted lines.

Thanks to those that have come before me that helped, even though you will never know it!

Note: The grit texture you see on the front strap is still Shur-Tape. Still can't bring myself to spreading J-B Weld on the front strap! Will wait and see what happens with the grips after a few uses.

Before :

DSC02190.jpg

After:

DSC02197.jpg

After: DSC02198.jpg

Edited by CZinSC

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been using the 3M Shur-Tape from Lowes on my CZ SP01 with success for a while, however, with my sweaty hands, the tape doesn't stay on long before I have to redo it. I started looking for a more permanent solution. So after consulting the Benoverse, i found a few ideas and basically borrowed from them all.

End result = What I think are some pretty darn good grips! The grit is aggressive enough to not slip, but not enough to chew my hands up. How long with they last? Well, that is the question! I haven't had a chance to shoot with them yet, but I'm pretty excited and optimistic about how they feel with the little dry fire I have done.

Also, for the rules Guru's out there, I'm shooting production, and want to continue to shoot Production, so after reading rule 21.4, I believe I am still Production legal. "For semi-automatic Production guns, grip tape, grip sleeves, checkering, stippling or other texture may only be applied in the areas shown in appendix E4. Glue and grit is considered the same as stippling." Further note, according to E4, I am well within the dotted lines.

Thanks to those that have come before me that helped, even though you will never know it!

Note: The grit texture you see on the front strap is still Shur-Tape. Still can't bring myself to spreading J-B Weld on the front strap! Will wait and see what happens with the grips after a few uses.

Before :

DSC02190.jpg

After:

DSC02197.jpg

Before :

DSC02190.jpg

After:

DSC02197.jpg

I used the 60-90 grit Silicon Carbide from RockShed

So far, it works super well! Way more grit and texture than the 3M Shurtape Tread tape. The grit is very agressive, but my hand was fine shooting all day. No blisters or rub marks. My forearm is a different story. The grips scracthed my arm up pretty good over the course of the day. Need to put something on them like a beer koozie between stages. I've tried one out already and it stays on pretty well, comes off easy enough, and saves my forearm from getting all scratched up.

You could also stipple the plastic grip panels or use marine-tex to texturize the panels and frame to match.

I don't have a soldering iron or any way to stipple, plus no idea how to do it. I thought about doing the same technique to the backstrap, but at this point, I don't think i will need to. The grips are working so well the back strap doesn't really matter.

CZinSC, I was thinking of doing this to some Para grips I have. But was wondering if spray-on glue, like to car headliners would work better, only because the spray would add very little thickness to the grips. Unlike the JB weld, seems to come on as a paste?

What do you think????

thanks

Not a bad idea. I suppose whatever works and holds the silicon down and doesn't rub off. I tested Epoxy first and it didn't hold up as well as the JB, so you just have to experiment. I even tested whether there was a difference between pouring the silicon on vs pouring it on and then patting it down. For the record, pouring it on and not touching it was far better.

As far as adding thickness...I spread the JB Weld out with a small modelers paint brush. It worked its way into all of the grooves and added very little thickness to the grips.

CZinSC, I was thinking of doing this to some Para grips I have. But was wondering if spray-on glue, like to car headliners would work better, only because the spray would add very little thickness to the grips. Unlike the JB weld, seems to come on as a paste?

What do you think????

thanks

I've had good luck on Para grips by rubbing on a thin coating of Loctite Plastic Epoxy then sprinkling on 30-50 grit Black Diamond blasting media (50 lbs under $10 at the local Tractor Supply Company store)

079340685857lg.jpg

215778_10150145131152447_229698387446_7034485_2615528_n.jpg

What do you think????

thanks

I've had good luck on Para grips by rubbing on a thin coating of Loctite Plastic Epoxy then sprinkling on 30-50 grit Black Diamond blasting media (50 lbs under $10 at the local Tractor Supply Company store)

079340685857lg.jpg

215778_10150145131152447_229698387446_7034485_2615528_n.jpg

That is the exact Epoxy I had tried. I guess my test was either flawed, or you have better luck. Either way, nice to know that I may have a use for that epoxy in the future! :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...