Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

case cleaning

Greetings All,

I'm new to this forum and after reading about the benefis of ss media and how its used, I've come up with my own version that has worked for me. I'm rather frugal and a bit of a tinkerer so this did not cost alot to set up. Basically I went to Home Depot and bought several meters of 6/7 copper multi strand grounding wire (bare) and cut the pieces with a bolt cutter mounted on a vise. It took me about 1.5 hrs. and I ended up with about 4lbs. of .60in copper wire pins. I think that the copper being softer than the brass will have no effects with scratching, wear, etc. and have the same effect as the ss pins.

I tried this out and it works exactly the same with the same results as with the ss pins and I only tumbled for 1 hour (home made tumbler) using the dish soap & lemishine mix. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

R.

This is probably a stupid question but doesn't the copper corrode & rub corrosion off on the brass? Other than that, sounds like a lot of ideas well thought out.

The pins corrode if you leave them in the open. I've found that soaking the pins in mineral spirits will keep them from corroding when not used. And yes, they clean up corroded brass just as well as ss pins.

R.

It sounds like they are pretty large diameter (.60 in per your post). That won't go through a primer hole, will it? How well do they clean the primer pocket? Those are the two main things I am interested in having a tumbler do for me that a regular tumbler won't do.

It sounds like they are pretty large diameter (.60 in per your post). That won't go through a primer hole, will it? How well do they clean the primer pocket? Those are the two main things I am interested in having a tumbler do for me that a regular tumbler won't do.

Hi 'mlmiller1',

I've yet to get one stuck in the primer hole. they clean the primer pockets perfectly!

R.

Greetings All,

I'm new to this forum and after reading about the benefis of ss media and how its used, I've come up with my own version that has worked for me. I'm rather frugal and a bit of a tinkerer so this did not cost alot to set up. Basically I went to Home Depot and bought several meters of 6/7 copper multi strand grounding wire (bare) and cut the pieces with a bolt cutter mounted on a vise. It took me about 1.5 hrs. and I ended up with about 4lbs. of .60in copper wire pins. I think that the copper being softer than the brass will have no effects with scratching, wear, etc. and have the same effect as the ss pins.

I tried this out and it works exactly the same with the same results as with the ss pins and I only tumbled for 1 hour (home made tumbler) using the dish soap & lemishine mix. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

R.

What was the cost on this if I may ask

Greetings All,

R.

What was the cost on this if I may ask

Hi Babaganoosh,

The wire was 20 dollars, the rest I had put together with odds and ends lying around in my workshop.

R.