Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing the front sight on a Les Baer

Canuck63

Hi all,

next year I'll compete in the Classic (SS) Division here in Italy with two Les Baer guns.Rules allow for optic fiber front sight and I'd like to swap to ones originally fitted on my guns with OF ones.The sights on my LBs seem to be pinned somehiow to the slides to center them.Is there a safe way to remove them sights without damaging the latter or marring the slide?

TIA

Manny

yes they are pinned,it will have to be cut or drilled out to remove the sight,,don't try to just beat it out,and if you cut it those sights sre TIGHT,you may want to find a gunsmith to do the work,gppd luck

Baer pins their sights with a blind hole. The best way to get the sight off is to machine it in half, then you can tap out the dovetailed section and pull the pin out with a pair of vice grips or pliers. You lose the sight but you don't take any risk of scarring the slide.

Hi all,

next year I'll compete in the Classic (SS) Division here in Italy with two Les Baer guns.Rules allow for optic fiber front sight and I'd like to swap to ones originally fitted on my guns with OF ones.The sights on my LBs seem to be pinned somehiow to the slides to center them.Is there a safe way to remove them sights without damaging the latter or marring the slide?

TIA

Manny

Many thanks for the replies so far guys.I had thought that a minor "surgery" would have been in order to remove those sights,i.e. cutting them in two,remove the "loose" half with ease and then work on the pinned one that would have come off just as easily leaving the pin to be pulled out!

While I'm at it may I ask which kind of cut/dovetail angle has the LB sight to it?I.e. is it a Novak an EGW a Kimber,a........these dovetails are very confusing,especially for us living over the Pond ,accustomed to metric measurements!

Cheers

Manny