Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moly and Dillon Square deal, questions

I fell in love with Bear Creeks 200gr TC bullets (they're freakin laser acurate... even with my newbie fundamentals) for my 40sw Limited pistol but I cant seem to seat/crimp the bullet without lead around the neck of the case; when loading them on my square deal...

I have my bell maxed out and seating them to 1.185" OAL and crimp is set @ 0.425" ( crimping them any smaller; more lead will be scraped and showing on the neck of the case and anything larger would not chamber) What do you guys suggest ???

Edited by RippSpeed

Can you measure a case mouth that's been belled? My first thought was not having enough bell, as lead (and moly) always need a bit more bell than jacketed.

I don't think the crimp would have any bearing on the discussion, but your crimp sounds about right but perhaps just a little large. I think my .40 loads have a .423" crimp. Again though, I don't think crimping would have anything to do with the donut of lead around the case mouth.

Can you measure a case mouth that's been belled? My first thought was not having enough bell, as lead (and moly) always need a bit more bell than jacketed.

I don't think the crimp would have any bearing on the discussion, but your crimp sounds about right but perhaps just a little large. I think my .40 loads have a .423" crimp. Again though, I don't think crimping would have anything to do with the donut of lead around the case mouth.

I'll measure it tonight but I'm maxed out on my bell because its screwed all the way down...

The bell is created by the powder funnel. Dillon has used 2 different lengths of powder funnels over the years. Is it possible you have the "short" one?

Just another thought on what it could be...

I'm not sure about the powder funnel being short because I bought this used ... But, I'll look in it ... How can you tell ??? I mean it work fine when I was loading 180gr Montana Gold JHP...

I was also wondering if I need to order the Turncated Cone seat stem, would this help as well ???

case mouth after being belled open to 0.462" to 0.463"

You've got some other issue beside the case bell. That's a huge amount of bell, I generally end up using a case bell of about .015" over the crimped size. Have you tried backing off the amount of bell and loading some rounds? In your case I'm talking about something with bell in the range of .439-.443". That's enough extra bell that it may be the cause of weird things happening.

Could you post a picture of a finished round that has the problem?

for some reason... After taking apart the whole tool head and cleaning the press and reseting everything... The problem went away.

I just finished loading 100rds and it doesnt seem to be there anymore... Once in a while theres a tiny bit of lead in the around the case mouth but not a bad as before... Just freaking weird

I cant duplicate the problem anymore... resetted everything to where I had them before...