Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting areas for indoor ranges

I know that the standard way to mark out shooting areas is to use fault lines with the fault lines being thick enough so that the shooter has both a visual and tactile reference to know if they are faulting. (2.2.1.1)

These fault lines made of wood or PVC are typically laid out around the edges of the shooting area. So far, I've seen interesting application of duct tape to keep these in place in indoor ranges.

I'm wondering if the use of thick rub shop mats would be a legal substitute to mark out a shooting area. Most of the mats nowadays also have interlocking edges allowing mats to be "stitched" together. As long as the shooter is on the mat, they are considered to be in the shooting area. There seems to be less chance of the mats shifting around on cement floors and they give the same visual and tactile reference.

Any thoughts on this, provided the mats are not prohibitively expensive?

I know that the standard way to mark out shooting areas is to use fault lines with the fault lines being thick enough so that the shooter has both a visual and tactile reference to know if they are faulting. (2.2.1.1)

These fault lines made of wood or PVC are typically laid out around the edges of the shooting area. So far, I've seen interesting application of duct tape to keep these in place in indoor ranges.

I'm wondering if the use of thick rub shop mats would be a legal substitute to mark out a shooting area. Most of the mats nowadays also have interlocking edges allowing mats to be "stitched" together. As long as the shooter is on the mat, they are considered to be in the shooting area. There seems to be less chance of the mats shifting around on cement floors and they give the same visual and tactile reference.

Not specifically answering your mat question, but, if your indoor range has cables for targets in lanes, you can drape opaque plastic sheets or blue tarps to limit shooter movement or fields of fire from a single spot and use clothes pins on the plastic/tarps to create angles for hallways. You can also use target sticks as long as shooters do not have to get to the edges to engage targets.

• 3 weeks later...

Kind of a late response, but my indoor club uses foam tubes cut in half and taped to the floor. None of the matches are USPSA sanctioned.

Kind of a late response, but my indoor club uses foam tubes cut in half and taped to the floor. None of the matches are USPSA sanctioned.

Oh, that's idea. He have a bunch of the foam tubes laying around. The range originally had a falling plates league, but lead levels were going up, so they banned that. After a few months, somebody came up with the idea of using the foam tubes as replacements for the plates. It was fun and great replacement, but the shooter turnout went down because of the reset time. Eventually the range stopped making the bay available for use. Now there's a bunch of tubes that can probably have a second use.