Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

observations and help needed

mas

Hi all,

Got to put a lot of rounds downrange yesterday. I was primarily working on tracking the front sight and noticed that it's not as consistent as it needs to be. Upon examining other aspects during shooting, I am aware of a couple of things: my arms move a bit with each shot (lift a few inches), and thus the pistol goes with them (I think having lost 35 lbs. on a diet may not have helped matters); in addition, I'm wondering if I need to cam my support hand down until it can't go no more....is this how all of you do it? Finally, during rapid fire, my shots are going down and to the right (I'm left handed), and it seems to me that I'm gorilla gripping the gun with my strong hand and that my trigger finger isn't moving quite as independently as it is when I shoot at a slower pace. Any suggestions for training and remediation of these ugly problems? I know some of the likely suggestions are to relax the strong hand more, but any in addition to this?

LOCK the weakhand wrist forward. All the way locked out. It is about 1000% stronger with 10% effort. Then you can relax. You can actually fire the gun 100% holding with your weakhand if you have the grip right and just touch off the trigger with your strong hand and you won't drop it.

Thank you so much L2S....you confirmed what I was thinking; that is, the problem is all in my weak-hand grip.....It's gonna take some getting used to putting the gun in my weak-hand at the reception position (during the draw). Any pointers?? If I use the Burkett "roll," I seem to struggle getting a good grip. Again, thanks a million. I can't wait to give 'er a go this weekend.

Practice. It feels really weird until you get it down. Once you get it, you will realize it is much easier to "get" than your grip before was. *hint* When you draw point your weakhand thumb toward your target. If you lead with it and lock it, I think you will really like the results, you'll probably have to experiment with your arm bend and elbow angles also.