Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22 LR coversion for AR-15

Bronco

I'm getting spanked on the close up hoser rifle stages and need to practice these kind of scenarios. I hate to use good 223 for this kind of practice so have decided to get a 22 LR upper to practice with. DPMS has one and CZ makes one for the V-22 accuracy speaks also makes one but it seems a bit high. Anyone have one, suggestions, experiences or other inpute. Thanks

Get a chamber conversion kit for that kind of shooting.

The kit replaces the AR bolt/carrier assembly, and provides 22LR mags. Works very well for up-cose shooting, and the cost is reasonable (about $150 I think). Got mine from Bushmaster, but there are others.

I use it for close-in practice. It also gives me trigger time with the same profile (same actual parts/weight/feel) of my comp gun. I also use it for plinking. Gets lots of attention when I pull out a tricked out M4 Bushy, then it just goes pop because it is shooting 22LR. Mine holds 2.5" groups out to 100yds

Bronco:

I've got a V-22 upper that I can bring up this weekend if you would like. I also have a few magazine conversions for the US military convertion kit. We can talk about it at Ark City. KURTM

I always here people talking down on the accuracy of a 22 conversion kit. I have a CIENER for my AR that i use for 3gun. It works great for USPSA style targets. NO it wont shoot tight groups, but it will keep it in the 'A' zone head shot at 25 yards or so. With the conversion you use the same gun with the same optics/sights w/ no need to buy any other items. Just to test the long range accuracy, i shot mine at a 12" plate at 300yards. From the bench using a bipod i had 8 out of 10 shots strike home.

Thanks guys, I went into this knowing I wanted a complete flat top upper due to the leading issues of 22 LR in a 1 in 7 barrel. Will put a EOTech on as I need work keeping both eyes open while I move and shoot.

Kurt, if you come too A.C. by all means bring the upper. I'm pretty sure AC3gun shot while we were in Miss. If not this weekend then next in OKC.