Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine Length .223

Chuckdee

What would you guys say is the maximum length for a 69 grain SMK in an AR? I have had a couple failures to feed. What it seems like is the tip of the bullet is hanging up on the front of the magazine, and the bolt gets jammed on the side of the case. The bolt misses the bottom of the case to strip off a round (because the cartridge is hung up on the mag) and goes right over it until it hits the side on the case and stops.

This has only happened three times, and only with my 69 SMK's. My plinker ammo (55gr Hornadys) have never had this problem. I run them with an OAL of 2.210.

My OAL for 69 SMK's is around 2.240-2.245.

What do you guys think?

Thank you,

Charles

Well, I shoot 75 gr Hornady a lot. I've also done some 68 Hornady, 69 SMK and 77 SMK. I keep mine right at 2.25" Hornady lists 2.25" as the max COL for the 68 & 75 gr. I never have trouble with them in the mag that way.

I've read the max length for 5.56 is up to 2.60, but when I tried longer I had mag feed problems. So I just stuck with 2.25" and have no feed problems in old military mags or magpull mags.

Sounds like the 69s are too long, especially if the 55s are feeding.

My 69gr SMK loads are 2.252 and they have issues feeding in some mags. They work fine in the CProduct 40 rounders (but not in their 30s!) and all Magpul mags I've tried. Rather than changing a load I know and like, I just make sure I use mags I know work.

My franken bolt gun I run 2.265 and it feeds from a 20 round pmag fine. I tried to push them out as far as 2.275 but they would hang. I also have used a chain saw file on the inside of the 20 rounder to get that length.

Now I would also suggest some of the older pmags as they would allow for a longer coal than the newer ones. I have an old Orange pmag that I can run the 2.265 in with no problems at all. But in a new mag they will snag.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Ok, thanks for the info everyone. I have some of the newer pmags, so I think I will shorten it to about 2.240. That should work out fine without any problems.

I was going to ask if there is a maximum length for the term "magazine length", but I guess it really depends on the mag.. Duh.. Anyways, I will reload to a shorter OAL, and my problem should be fixed.

Thanks again!!