Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rounds sticking in AR chamber

1911 rookie

According to "dauntedfuture", in post 23, the 1.760" shouldn't be a problem but I'm not so sure.

Could be OK, I guess, IF the chamber on YOUR barrel works with that length.

Since Hodgdon recommends 1.750", my Lee trimmer cuts them down to 1.745" and all 200 rounds of LE Federal brass I full length resized measured between 1.732" and 1.740" I'm not going to go above 1.750". (LE was at our range and I know the guy that scored all their once fired brass.)

I set my new Little Crow Gun Works WFT up at 1.745".

Please let us know if lowering your die and trimming shorter cures your issue.

I think you will be hard pressed to find a chamber cut with a neck length shorter then 1.760. Most are much longer, i have looked and many a barrel neck and throat with a bore scope and you can clearly see where necks stop and powder burns. I would not recommend a case longer then 1.760, that's MAX length and would never recommend something out of spec. Alternatively, if you dont have a great trimmer set up you can trim the brass once to 1.750 and load it a few times before it grows to 1.760+. Accuracy will suffer to a small extent if you use different length brass.

I thought I had posted this already

JD0hmEsl.jpg

here's what a 100 rounds from our reject bin look like in the gauge

BWTQJFpl.jpg

probably 99 of these will run no problem, but they are used for practice, not a match or something even more important.

No need to risk it.

I would sort the ones that don't quite drop all the way down. They are most likely just fine but it does not hurt to be extra sure about your ammunition. A small base (not low base) die might help. I suspect the loaded rounds that stick up a little would go down in the gauge with a little pressure and were shot out of a rifle with a little bigger chamber, in spec, but a little on the big-within-spec side of things.