Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris MTAC 1-4x24

JMIS

the lowest brightness setting is way to bright for a night shot (complete darkness, not twilight or lowlight), it washes out the target.

A little OT, but I shot a match with a night stage where the targets were steel at 200 yards with reflective tape on them. They were (barely) illuminated by headlights behind you. My NF scope's illumination was too bright and I could see nothing but the reticle through the scope... Having spent a lot of time with an ACOG, I tried looking through both eyes and was able to see the targets with my left eye and the crosshairs with my right eye and made the shots.

Well, as many have said before, every scope out there represents a compromise of some sort. For the money and the average 3-gun game, this scope is tough to beat. The big circle works great for close stuff, just remember to hold it a little higher to allow for the offset above the bore, and the dots are great for longer range work as long as you spend a little time in advance figuring out what those dots mean for your particular firearm and chosen round.

• 4 weeks later...

I spent a lot of time looking at scopes with 1x4 magnification and for our matches which very seldom go out past 300 yards I decided to go with the MTAC primarily for the reticle design. I like a quick clean picture. I did not like the optics with all the detail on the reticle like the XTR. I have been using an Eotech with out magnification the last two years so this "look" fit my eye better. For the mount I thought I would take a chance on the Burris PEPR.

The mount and scope arrrived and I found install to be easy on my DPMS 3G1.

Took it to the range and started at 25 yds to see where it was at. A little low and right. Walked it out the 50 then 75 and finally 100. Still on paper. I ended up going 4 clicks to the left and 8 clicks up and at 100 yards on 4x I was dead on and a group from a rest you could cover with a quarter. More than good enought for the 3-gun matches I shoot. I did find that in bright sunlight I did not use the illumination. I have not tried it in low light yet.

I then worked on the close stuff to figure out head shots from 5 to 30 yards. Easily found the right dot for CQB. I do wish the dots had a bit more space around them but it is not a big deal and with a bit of trigger time on the close stuff it will be fine.

Overall the optic and mount have exceeded my expectations and the price for the set up is terrific. Did get a throw lever from Charlie Drissel, he was great to deal with.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a pretty similar story to GoinHot above, I bought mine with a PEPR mount and threw it on my LWRC M6A3. It was very easy to zero in and tracked quite nicely. The glass clarity is exceptional for a $400 scope and the 1x makes it very easy to shoot with both eyes open. I am very satisfied with my MTAC and would recommend it for somebody looking for a sub $500 3-gun optic.

Monty

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm wondering what is MTAC's true maximum power?

Burris specs says that the field of view is (in feet @ 100 yards) 100 Low - 32 High.

If you divide 100 with 32 you get 3.1. Does this mean that the scope is only max 3 power (assuming that the lower end is true 1x)?