Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Classic" targets presented beyond 45 degrees from vertical

Skydiver

As I was reading the "Disappearing Targets" thread where the target is brought into view by the shooter's actions, there was some emphasis on the subject of moving targets. I just suddenly realized that the rule that "Classic" targets cannot be presented to the shooter beyond 45 degrees from the vertical only applies to targets that are not moving.

2.1.8.4 Static “Classic” paper targets must not be presented at an angle greater than approximately 45 degrees from the vertical.

That means that in the original scenario described by sperman in the other thread, the targets could have been "Classic" targets and have been hung upside down, and it would have been perfectly legal.

I know that the intent of 2.1.8.4 was so that shooters would have some kind of reference point for these targets, and that the word static was placed there to account for such targets to be placed on swingers or drop turners. I don't think that it was foreseen that targets could also be placed on bobbers, or the

I don't quite remember now, but I thought that the way the question was phrased in the RO cert renewal test was that a Classic target can never be presented upside down, true or false? As I recall, I answered true, and cited 2.1.8.4. Looking back, the answer should have been false, but still citing the same rule.

I don't quite remember now, but I thought that the way the question was phrased in the RO cert renewal test was that a Classic target can never be presented upside down, true or false? As I recall, I answered true, and cited 2.1.8.4. Looking back, the answer should have been false, but still citing the same rule.

The question on the RO test attempts to get tricky... it doesn't say anything at all about Classic targets...